- A proposal that the PNC amend the bylaws to create the office Director of Public Relations. The officer elected to this position would have the following responsibilities:
- To administrate and manage social media accounts alongside the chair and vice chair;
- To advise the PNC on its image and reputation;
- To orchestrate public opportunities/appearances for officers, candidates, and other hard-working pirates;
- To serve as the public face of the USPP whenever other relevant Pirates cannot appear;
- To readily communicate with the public, the press, and other organizations.
- Joseph Onoroski, Treasurer, Massachusetts
- William Dappen, California
- Joseph Klein, Wisconsin
- Mitch Davilo, Illinois
- Anthony Jay, Indiana
- Rose Klein, Chair
- James O'Keefe, Secretary
Nothing new to report. Continuing with existing work.
Platform working on a position on Abortion. Will present position at this meeting.
Lessons learned from the PATRIOT Act protest/live streams:
- Panel setup is good (though other options can still be explored)
- Frequent social media posting is good
- Our attempt to reach out to other organizations was a good idea, let's reuse it
- It was good to put faces to our party
- We had a fallback plan and executed it
- At some points, we were too casual to have serious or insightful discussions. We should try to become a bit more professionally political (doesn't mean we have to lose our style)
- We did not give ourselves enough time. We should be mindful of that, and when doing projects under a time constraint, we should scale effectively.
- To that point, we should use our time to come up with more of a plan
- We should ensure that our streaming setup is more resistant to technical difficulties, and that there is no single point of failure if something goes wrong.
- We stretched ourselves very thin. We should try to delegate more effectively so we can carry the weight of our ambitions.
- We should establish more of a central goal from the get-go. We should also communicate better in the planning stages so that we all have the same idea in our heads.
- Keep the 10% rule in mind
Have not heard back from Alaska or Rhode Island.
Reached out to the Chilean Pirates to talk about doing a join event for Pan American Day (April 15th).
Discussion of Director of Public Relations by-law proposal. Discussion of structuring it as a by-law proposal. Anthony Jay withdrew it and will rewrite it as a By-law amendment.
Joseph Onoroski suggested coming up with a flyer design for the starter pack and he offered to pay for a print run of 1000. Decided to request Outreach Committee come up with a flyer design and we will go from there in terms of purchasing.
Discussion of what should be in an Abortion statement:
- We are pro-choice and believe that abortion is a decision best left up to a woman and her doctor;
- Suggestion to include positions in favor of birth control and health care;
- General thought that this statement should be submitted to the PNC in a written form.
Meeting adjourned at 9:54pm EST.
Record of the meeting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gG2C1_LaDkI