PNC 09/05/21

From United States Pirate Party
Jump to navigation Jump to search






Next tasks:

Next meeting: Thursday, 9/9, 9pm on Jitsi

Old Business

  • Moving PNC meetings to Jitsi
    • discussion of trolling, prevention?
    • How often & when to start moving meetings

New Business


  • Bosun: Joseph Klein USPP vice chair rep WI
  • jokeefe: James O’Keefe, Secretary (temporary MA rep until Joe arrives)
  • Guest52/Radiojoe: William Dappen, CA rep


  • pmchi: Mitchel Davilo, Chicagoland/ILPP, Swarmcare Manager
  • yari: Rose Klein, CA, PNC chair
  • Wodensday: Anthony Jay, IN
  • Frank: Frank Decapio, West Virginia.


  • Meeting called to order at 9:05pm
  • Meeting adjourned at 10:02PM

Proposals Passed

  • Jitsi meetings this month will be on the 12th and the 26th.



[9:05pm] yari: With that, it seems we have everyone - so let's get started! I'm calling this meeting of the PNC to order at 9:05pm EST. ID's please!
[9:05pm] yari: (Sorry, not everyone, but a quorum)
[9:05pm] pmchi: Mitchel Davilo, Chicagoland/ILPP, Swarmcare Manager
[9:05pm] Bosun: Joseph Klein USPP vice chair rep WI
[9:06pm] yari: Rose Klein, CA, PNC chair
[9:06pm] jokeefe: James O’Keefe, Secretary (temporary MA rep until Joe arrives)
[9:07pm] jokeefe: Meeting page:
[9:07pm] papegaai: Title: PNC 09/05/21 - United States Pirate Party (at
[9:07pm] yari: Let's start with reports. Jokeefe, what do we have from the IT committee?
[9:08pm] jokeefe: We met last Thursday and set a set of objectives we want to accomplish at Next meeting is this Thursday, 9pm Eastern
[9:08pm] papegaai: Title: Etherpad (at
[9:10pm] yari: Okay, wodensday is not currently present (trying to connect), let's move on to some officer reports.
[9:10pm] Wodensday joined the chat room.
[9:10pm] yari: pmchi - swarm care?
[9:10pm] Wodensday: Anthony Jay, IN
[9:11pm] yari: Thank you wodensday, welcome
[9:11pm] Bosun: Speaking of the devil.
[9:12pm] pmchi: Illinois officially has a website! Currently seeking one representative willing to appear at weekly PNC meetings in order to officially be eligible for state recognition.
[9:12pm] Frank joined the chat room.
[9:13pm] pmchi: About a year ago I reached out to Chile’s PP about a Pan-American Pirate Network. Seeing as I only *just* got the ILPP website up and running, I’d say that wasn’t my place to do on behalf of the party. However, I saw on Telegram that Mauricio (of the CLPP) said how “He’d love a Latin American coordination”. So, naturally, I reached back out to reignite discussions. Between them and Australia (who I know have been wanting
[9:13pm] pmchi: to work with us), I think we are in good shape
[9:13pm] yari: pmchi, good to hear! Glad we might have another state on here soon. Do we have any other leads on states that might be able to start forming parties soon?
[9:14pm] pmchi: There was the Wisconsin Pirate who was supposed to reach out to Bosun. Also Indiana (hello Wodensday) is also in the works
[9:14pm] yari: And yes, I need to discuss with outreach (wodensday) and yourself about the contact with Australia.
[9:14pm] yari: I will email you about that
[9:15pm] Guest52 joined the chat room.
[9:15pm] Wodensday: Indiana website is in progress! Cannot give a time on its completion yet though
[9:15pm] Guest52: hello, this is William Dappen, CA rep
[9:15pm] yari: Bosun can I have your permission to forward your email to a pirate on the discord who wants to help with WIPP?
[9:16pm] Bosun: Yes and phone#
[9:16pm] yari: Will do Bosun
[9:16pm] pmchi: I believe our West Virginia Pirate popped in as well? Not trying to call attention to him, but WV is another state who showed interest in forming
[9:16pm] Frank: I am still interested in making a West Virginia Pirate Party.  I understand that it will take time. 
[9:16pm] yari: Frank could you ID please?
[9:16pm] Bosun: More like peoplee.
[9:17pm] yari: Unless you intend to just lurk, in which case feel free to lurk
[9:17pm] Guest52 is now known as Radiojoe.
[9:17pm] Frank: Frank Decapio, West Virginia.
[9:17pm] yari: Thank you Frank
[9:17pm] yari: And RadioJoe welcome
[9:17pm] Frank: You're welcome.
[9:17pm] pmchi: Frank if you get a state party and website up in under a year then you’re a quicker organizer than I. We can help you every step
[9:18pm] yari: Woensdag glad to hear about the website!
[9:18pm] yari: *wodensday
[9:18pm] yari: Goodness what the heck autocorrect
[9:18pm] Frank: I appreciate the support.  I want to make a website, but it will take time for me do so.
[9:18pm] pmchi: That’s the old German spelling
[9:19pm] Wodensday: Ah yes, Woensdag, Wodensday from old high germany
[9:19pm] Bosun: tag
[9:19pm] Wodensday: Grimm's law moved it from dag to tag
[9:19pm] yari: Frank please let us know when you would like assistance.
[9:20pm] yari: And same for you Wodensday and pmchi. Excited for more volunteers and states to join!
[9:21pm] yari: With all the connections from the swarmcare report done with, Wodensday - can you tell us about outreach?
[9:21pm] Wodensday91 joined the chat room.
[9:22pm] jokeefe: Next meeting will be streamed, yes?
[9:22pm] Wodensday91: So sorry about that, this is still Anthony Jay, IN
[9:22pm] yari: Correct, jokeefe. I intend to keep every second Sunday of the month at the least
[9:22pm] yari: Wodensday, could you give outreach report please?
[9:22pm] Wodensday91: During our last outreach meeting, we edited the pirate address started by Jokeefe for the War in Afghanistan, to be published at a later day.
[9:23pm] Wodensday91: Our current draft can be found here:
[9:23pm] papegaai: Title: Etherpad (at
[9:23pm] Wodensday left the chat room. (Ping timeout: 240 seconds)
[9:23pm] Wodensday91 is now known as Wodensday.
[9:23pm] yari: When will it be published?
[9:24pm] Wodensday: A date is yet to be set.
[9:24pm] yari: My understanding is that outreach does not need to coordinate with PNC to publish content
[9:24pm] yari: Just needs to clear with either chair or vice-chair
[9:25pm] yari: Is that correct?
[9:25pm] Bosun: Let's get it out ASAP.
[9:26pm] yari: agreed with Bosun.
[9:26pm] Wodensday: If that is the case, the objective can be for outreach to complete and post this by Wednesday. The platform(s) for distribution can also be a question undertaken by outreach.
[9:27pm] yari: Wonderful. It would be great to see this edited and posted while it is still in the public consciousness.
[9:27pm] Wodensday: Agreed.
[9:28pm] yari: Okay, thank you. Moving on - Bosun, anything to report?
[9:29pm] yari: I know we have a work session scheduled for tomorrow.
[9:29pm] yari: (Despite Labor Day)
[9:29pm] Frank: I will let people know if I need help making a website.  I will see what I can do right now. 
[9:30pm] Bosun: Yes. More labor!
[9:30pm] yari: Frank, please do.
[9:30pm] pmchi: Social media accounts are a good place to start!
[9:31pm] Bosun: WVPP - registrations for twitter et al
[9:31pm] yari: Grind the gears. Okay. Moving on from reports to old business. We did not complete the main item of discussion from last time, which is the move from IRC to Jitsi.
[9:31pm] Frank: I can make social media pages, but I am sure that I will need permission to do so first.
[9:32pm] yari: Frank - permissions from whom?
[9:32pm] Bosun: Gotta start somewhere.
[9:33pm] Frank: I'm not sure.  I don't think that I'm an official member yet, but I can make some pages soon. 
[9:33pm] yari: Frank you do not need to be an official USPP member to make state pages
[9:33pm] Bosun: Frank, just do it and don''t screw up.
[9:33pm] Frank: OKay. 
[9:34pm] yari: State and USPP are separate entities, though tied together by many things.
[9:35pm] Bosun: You are now WV organizer. Pemit yourself to do things.
[9:35pm] Bosun: Permit ..
[9:35pm] pmchi: WVPP is your baby, raise it as you wish!
[9:35pm] yari: Main item for discussion right now: moving to Jitsi: we have successfully amended the Bylaws. Questions become: when do we move too Jitsi? How do we move to Jitsi? Joe brought up the point of preventing trolling. How often do we meet on Jitsi?
[9:35pm] Wodensday left the chat room. (Ping timeout: 240 seconds)
[9:35pm] Wodensday joined the chat room.
[9:36pm] Bosun: Let's just dive in next week,
[9:37pm] yari: Bosun are you trying to make a motion?
[9:37pm] yari: If so please do so
[9:37pm] Bosun: I move we holdd our next meeting on Jitsi.
[9:38pm] pmchi: I thought that was already established
[9:38pm] yari: Our next meeting was already going to be held on Jitsi per the bylaws as amended on 7/11/21
[9:38pm] yari: Sorry, not a Bylaws amendment, just a proposal
[9:38pm] yari: Starting August 7th, PNC meetings will be live streamed once a month. Audiovisual access will be restricted to voting members, officers and committee chairs.
[9:39pm] yari: We have so far been holding the video meetings every second sunday
[9:39pm] yari: Of the month
[9:39pm] Bosun: OK then I withdraw my motion.
[9:39pm] Radiojoe: paragraph incoming, sorry slow typing here
[9:39pm] Radiojoe: Uploaded file:
[9:40pm] Radiojoe: shoot
[9:40pm] Radiojoe: well, I don't think there's any possible way to *prevent* trolling, just mitigating it. On moving to jitsi, I agree with bosun, it may be worth it to just see what could go wrong instead of trying to plan for every possible issue. And for how often, maybe that can be figured out later too? I think it would be good to observe the effectiveness of
[9:40pm] Radiojoe: the meeting before deciding that.
[9:40pm] Radiojoe: there we go
[9:41pm] Bosun: cool
[9:41pm] jokeefe: How about going to every two weeks this month and evaluating
[9:41pm] Bosun: here here
[9:41pm] Wodensday: Trolling is easier on IRC than it is on jisti livestreamed to YT, no?
[9:41pm] pmchi: I agree. I think two weeks would be fantastic
[9:41pm] Radiojoe: sure
[9:41pm] yari: jokeefe would IRC meetings be held every other week as well then?
[9:41pm] Wodensday: So long as only those chosen by the PNC continue to have speaking permissions
[9:42pm] yari: Wodensday live streamed to YouTube is my understanding of it, yes
[9:42pm] jokeefe: yari - sure
[9:42pm] Bosun: Any speaker should be recognized by the chair.
[9:43pm] yari: Bosun are you saying I should be more strict with my RONR?
[9:43pm] Wodensday: Then trolling would actually become much more difficult
[9:43pm] Wodensday: It was incredibly easy to raid IRC the last time it happened
[9:44pm] Bosun: II am saying the chair should hold the kill button.
[9:45pm] yari was promoted to operator by you.
[9:45pm] yari was demoted from operator by ChanServ.
[9:45pm] yari: Sure okay.
[9:45pm] yari: Still not working, huh.
[9:45pm] jokeefe: yes
[9:45pm] Bosun: We need to get you op permission on the IRC channel - for that we need to contact the IRC sysops.
[9:46pm] jokeefe: I can reach out to them
[9:46pm] yari: It sounds as though we are in agreement about the frequency of Jitsi meetings for this month
[9:47pm] Bosun: agreed.
[9:47pm] yari: Would someone be so kind as to propose it as a motion?
[9:48pm] jokeefe: Motion that this month we try two video meetings separated by two weeks
[9:48pm] Bosun: Didn't we. do that? OK _ I move we hold alternating IRC and Jitsi meeting starting next week with tthe first Jitsi meeting.
[9:49pm] yari: So moved
[9:49pm] yari: Who wants the 2nd?
[9:49pm] Radiojoe: I second Jokeefe's motion
[9:49pm] yari: wonderful
[9:49pm] yari: All in favor?
[9:49pm] Radiojoe: aye
[9:49pm] jokeefe: aye
[9:49pm] Bosun: aye
[9:49pm] pmchi: Aye
[9:50pm] yari: Passed.
[9:50pm] yari: three in favor, one at large in favor
[9:50pm] yari: Great
[9:51pm] yari: That would mean that we have Jitsi meetings on the 12th and the 26th
[9:51pm] yari: To clarify
[9:51pm] yari: And an IRC meeting on the 19th
[9:51pm] jokeefe: Sounds good
[9:51pm] Radiojoe: Alright
[9:51pm] Bosun: I move we adjourn
[9:51pm] Radiojoe: I'm glad we could get that sorted out, but before we close, I have something I would like to discuss with the PNC
[9:51pm] Radiojoe: itll only take a moment
[9:52pm] Bosun: OK
[9:52pm] yari: So long as there are no objections, you have the floor, RadioJoe
[9:52pm] Bosun: I withdraw my motion
[9:53pm] Radiojoe: so I recently joined the discord for the UKPP, and on September 3rd, a representative from the German Pirate Party contacted the discord asking if anyone would be willing to participate in a compilation video with them
[9:53pm] Radiojoe: shall I paste the quoted text below?
[9:54pm] yari: UK as in ukraine?
[9:54pm] yari: Or UK as in United Kingdom
[9:54pm] Radiojoe: United Kingdom, It's oficially defunct but people still frequent it
[9:54pm] yari: (Which is dissolved, if I'm not mistaken)
[9:54pm] yari: Good to know
[9:54pm] yari: Thank you
[9:54pm] yari: Feel free to paste
[9:54pm] yari: If its relevant
[9:55pm] Radiojoe: Hey you all! I really hope, somebody @here will read this soon.
[9:55pm] Radiojoe: I am from Germany. Since I don't know a lot about PPI-Stuff, I don't really get, if PPDE and PPUK have a problem (PPDE is bigger than just a few people most of you know, as I can read). And this is nothing I want to talk about. At the moment here in Germany we have elections. PPDE is still doing its best - but at election day frustration might
[9:55pm] Radiojoe: occur. A few pirates, including me, want to motivate more. We don't want to leave everybody alone with this frustration - which will only harm the pirate party as it did 2017 - and the years before.
[9:55pm] Radiojoe: In our opinion, pirates are important, worldwide. In every country where at least one pirate does exist - it doesn't matter if it's just an underground movement or an official party. Pirate is Pirate.
[9:55pm] Radiojoe: We want to create a video as a surprise for our pirates which we want to publish on election day (26.09.). It should motivate to move on anytime. And we thought, it might be great if we can get greetings from pirates all over the world.
[9:55pm] Radiojoe: We don't care if it is an official or just one pirate who would like to spread positive vibes. Since we all are pirates, we all belong together somehow. So, if somebody is here who wants to help us with a short video (15-30 seconds are enough! Like I said: Only greetings, nice words, like: "Hey, greetings here from a Pirate here in York in England!
[9:55pm] Radiojoe: Keep going!" or whatever...), please tell me. This doesn't have to be high quality, the camera in your mobile phone is enough! A pirate-background would be nice - when this is not possible, it isn't possible.
[9:55pm] Radiojoe: I really hope, somebody will do it.
[9:55pm] Radiojoe: You can message me here on discord or write me an E-Mail:
[9:55pm] Radiojoe: Thanks, and greetings to everyone here.
[9:55pm] Radiojoe: its long but here
[9:56pm] Radiojoe: my question on this is should we get involved? we do not seem too closely associated with the European parties so I am unsure
[9:56pm] yari: TL;DR they want videos of greetings from pirates, videos of support
[9:57pm] Radiojoe: thank you ^
[9:57pm] Bosun: I think it would bbe a nice thing to do.
[9:57pm] jokeefe: Could do a quick video at the start of the next meeting
[9:57pm] yari: ^
[9:57pm] yari: Other than jokeefe's idea I'm not sure how the PNC could actually do much as a body, might be best to talk to outreach
[9:58pm] Bosun: Yes and explicitly allow them to clip it out of the YouTube feed.
[9:58pm] yari: I don't see a reason why we shouldn't help them, so long as they're not spreading any harmful messages connected with the pirate name
[9:59pm] Wodensday: An alternative could be that outreach coordinates the spread of this information and attempts to send clips of individual pirates their way
[9:59pm] Bosun: From uss as individuals.
[9:59pm] Radiojoe: Alright, in that case I'll save it for then, in the mean time, I plan on sending them an email showing our interest, unless there are any reasons against htat
[9:59pm] Radiojoe: outreach i mean
[10:00pm] yari: okay
[10:00pm] jokeefe: I can do a quick recording of everyone at the meeting in tile view
[10:00pm] Bosun: Take five at the begining off the next meeting and we each say something short.  Don't over think it.
[10:00pm] yari: cool
[10:01pm] Bosun: I move we adjourn
[10:01pm] yari: motion on the table
[10:02pm] jokeefe: 2nd
[10:02pm] Radiojoe: I second
[10:02pm] yari: All in favor?
[10:02pm] jokeefe: aye
[10:02pm] Radiojoe: aye
[10:02pm] Bosun: aye
[10:02pm] jokeefe: Posting transcript
[10:02pm] yari: Motion is passed, this meeting of the PNC is adjourned at 10:02PM EST.
[10:02pm] yari: Thank you everyone.
[10:02pm] yari: goodnight.
[10:02pm] Radiojoe: goodnight!