PNC 07/18/21

From United States Pirate Party
Jump to navigation Jump to search






Regular IT meeting - Thursday, 7/29, 9pm Eastern

Next tasks:

  1. Report from Bosun on
  2. archive SAB list messages
  3. update old pages in the blog/wiki such as the state contact pages



Old Business

New Business

  • How to expand outreach to our supporters





Record of the meeting


Yari: Calling this meeting of the PNC to order at 9:06pm EST
[9:06pm] Yari: IDs please
[9:06pm] wodensday: Anthony Jay, IN
[9:06pm] Yari: Rose Klein, CA, chair
[9:06pm] jokeefe: James O’Keefe, MA, secretary
[9:07pm] Yari: pinging pmchi in case of participation
[9:08pm] Yari: moving on to committee and officer reports.
[9:08pm] Yari: IT, jokeefe?
[9:09pm] pmchi: Mitchel Davilo, Chicagoland/ILPP, Swarmcare Manager
[9:09pm] pmchi: Sorry got called into work today, moving back and worth
[9:09pm] jokeefe: we had a meeting. It was not well attended. all blog software is updated. scheduling next meeting.
[9:10pm] jokeefe: Will create meeting page, but there won’t be much in it.
[9:10pm] Yari: thank you for keeping up with meeting schedule, I'll actually be there for the next one! (sorry about last week)
[9:11pm] jokeefe: no worries. life intervenes
[9:11pm] Bosun: Crew need some TLC this week.
[9:12pm] jokeefe: yes, Bosun. Happy to help where I am able.
[9:12pm] Yari: moving on, outreach, wodensday?
[9:13pm] Bosun: I may take you up on heelp.
[9:13pm] wodensday: Jokeefe came by to demonstrate how to use wordpress. It went pretty well in my oopinion. What we do with the website content wise is bound to be a big topic of conversation on Tuesday.
[9:14pm] Yari: cool, some exciting stuff coming up next week then.
[9:14pm] wodensday: Absolutely. I'd love to see anyone who can make it there
[9:14pm] Yari: vice-chair, any updates?
[9:15pm] Yari: bosun
[9:15pm] Bosun: yes
[9:16pm] Bosun: Nothing to add.
[9:16pm] Yari: ok. treasurer is not present, swarmcare - pmchi, any updates?
[9:16pm] Bosun: I know we need content.
[9:17pm] pmchi: I’ve reached out to all state related social media I believe to be available. I’ve also attempted contact with international Pirate Parties, namely of the Americas. I noticed a lot of folk trying to join via crew
[9:17pm] pmchi: That’s all I got
[9:19pm] Yari: cool, thank you. Keep us updated on that front. If anything comes up, please send an email. Collaboration could definitely be something to bring up at a PNC meeting.
[9:20pm] Yari: there are no issues of old business that need to be considered.
[9:20pm] Yari: Let's move on to new business.
[9:21pm] Yari: Are there any pressing matters that the committee would like to bring to the table? If not, I have a proposition I would like to bring, if the Vice Chair will allow it.
[9:23pm] jokeefe: Sounds good
[9:23pm] Bosun: Yes
[9:25pm] Yari: hearing no objections, I will continue with my proposal: I propose imposing a one-year, one-term limit on the position of USPP chair. I believe this essentially codifies what is mostly already fact, except for a few cases of repeat chairmanships and two-year stints.
[9:26pm] jokeefe: why just chair?
[9:26pm] Yari: jokeefe, that is an excellent question - do you think it should be expanded to the other officers, or certain other officer positions?
[9:27pm] jokeefe: I think it should be consistent
[9:27pm] Yari: across all officers?
[9:27pm] Bosun: So is one year and out permeant or does it mean skip a year and re-elect is ok?
[9:27pm] jokeefe: yes
[9:28pm] Yari: Bosun by "one-term", I mean skip and re-elect is not allowed
[9:28pm] Bosun: Our bench is not deep enough.
[9:28pm] wodensday: If I may, I agree somewhat with Bosun here
[9:28pm] jokeefe: Well said, Bosun
[9:29pm] wodensday: I like the idea of one year terms. I don't know if I like the idea of one term limits
[9:29pm] wodensday: Perhaps 2-4
[9:29pm] Yari: Our bench is getting bigger
[9:30pm] jokeefe: We have a lot of positions open
[9:30pm] wodensday: An election every year sounds very healthy, though
[9:30pm] Yari: wodensday we already hold elections every year
[9:31pm] Bosun: Short terms are not good for continuity on a board.
[9:31pm] Yari: Bosun I think that is dependent on two things -
[9:31pm] wodensday: Okay, excellent
[9:32pm] Yari: first, whether there is communication between the terms, most importantly
[9:32pm] Yari: and second, whether officers can move between positions regardless of term limits
[9:32pm] Bosun: Even if we change hats we still have continuity.
[9:33pm] Yari: I.E, If you are chair one year and then vice-chair the next
[9:33pm] Yari: which is an example I'm sure you would know something about
[9:34pm] Bosun: Putin yourself back is bad.
[9:34pm] Mame joined the chat room.
[9:34pm] jokeefe: heh
[9:34pm] Mame: ended?
[9:35pm] Yari: huh, true
[9:35pm] Bosun: not yet.
[9:35pm] Yari: no, the meeting is still going.
[9:35pm] Mame: oh
[9:35pm] wodensday: There is a lot of dignity in the revolving door approach that I think outweighs the instability. I'm more concerned about quantity of quality leadership
[9:36pm] Yari: Bosun, if there are only 8 positions, then you could only be an officer for a maximum of 8 years
[9:36pm] Yari: but that's still a lot
[9:37pm] Mame: very strange to come midmeeting as you cannot see msg history on irc
[9:37pm] Yari: And yes, there are 8 officer positions, I just checked
[9:37pm] Yari: Mame agreed
[9:37pm] Mame: anyways ill shut up now
[9:37pm] jokeefe: Mame - transcript is at
[9:37pm] papegaai: Title: PNC 07/18/21 - United States Pirate Party (at
[9:38pm] Mame: alright
[9:38pm] Bosun: Perhaps you get docked a vote for each year served.
[9:39pm] jokeefe: what does that mean, Bosun?
[9:39pm] Yari: Officers don't vote
[9:39pm] wodensday: If it impacts votes given to them in elections, I can't imagine that would scale very well.
[9:40pm] Yari: Oh I understand
[9:40pm] pmchi: Would there be any grandfathering in? Like, would Bosun be eligible in the future or would all be applied
[9:41pm] wodensday: -1 vote makes sense now, wouldn't make any difference if we do see decent growth and have upwards 200 voters one day
[9:41pm] Yari: wodensday, members don't vote unless pnc changes rules
[9:41pm] Bosun: We can only have 56 votes.
[9:41pm] Yari: states vote
[9:42pm] Yari: well, states and territories
[9:42pm] Bosun: All states, territories, commenwealth, and district.
[9:42pm] wodensday: Sorry, misunderstood the system
[9:42pm] Yari: thank you bosun
[9:43pm] wodensday: 56 is still quite a lot of votes for such a consideration, though
[9:43pm] wodensday: Anywhere above 20
[9:43pm] Bosun: We only have two in good standing.
[9:44pm] jokeefe: When we get to that number, we can use another voting system than IRC
[9:44pm] wodensday: Still want to make pro-future decisions
[9:44pm] wodensday: The less future pirates have to fix, the better
[9:45pm] Bosun: Will they argue about the founders intent?
[9:45pm] Bosun: Sorry this is a tangent.
[9:46pm] Yari: If we don't make something that works for us now, we'll never get there
[9:46pm] pmchi: Inconceivable
[9:46pm] Yari: okay I've heard a lot of changes to this one proposition I made
[9:47pm] Yari: I think generally we've moved on from whether or not to apply it to all the officers, and it seems like there was an agreement that it should be applied to all officers.
[9:48pm] pmchi: I would still like clarity. Would officers previously elected to positions be docked from future positions (ie Bosun as chair) or will he be grandfathered in, thus it only applies starting with this set of elected officers
[9:49pm] Yari: Sorry pmchi, I didn't understand your question earlier.
[9:49pm] Yari: I would assume grandfathered in
[9:49pm] jokeefe: I would like a formal proposal with what exactly would change in the Bylaws
[9:49pm] pmchi: Second^^
[9:49pm] Bosun: If we had the numbers I would be fine with one term and out. Former board members can serve on committees or be non voting participants in board meeings.
[9:49pm] Yari: jokeefe me too.
[9:50pm] Yari: But there's a lot of fiddly details that are coming up here. Bosun, do you want to write a version of this to propose for next week?
[9:51pm] Yari: I ask because you proposed the 'dock a vote' bit, which seemed to be what we got stuck on
[9:51pm] Bosun: OK I will call you and discuss my draft.
[9:51pm] Yari: wonderful, thank you.
[9:51pm] Yari: In the meantime, motion to table this discussion?
[9:51pm] jokeefe: 2nd
[9:52pm] Bosun: Dock a vote is a creative penalty against ossification.
[9:52pm] Bosun: moved 2ndd, agreee
[9:52pm] jokeefe: Would appreciate seeing the text by Wednesday so I can present to MAPP meeting for review.
[9:52pm] Yari: hearing no objections, the discussion is tabled until next week.
[9:52pm] Yari: jokeefe I'll call Bosun soon and we can email it to you then
[9:53pm] Bosun: OK -
[9:53pm] jokeefe: thanks
[9:53pm] Yari: any other new business? otherwise I would hear a motion to adjourn
[9:54pm] jokeefe: motion to adjourn
[9:54pm] Bosun: Move adjourn
[9:54pm] Bosun: 2nd
[9:54pm] Yari: motion on the table, all in favor?
[9:54pm] jokeefe: aye
[9:54pm] Bosun: aye
[9:55pm] Yari: vote passes. This meeting of the PNC is adjourned at 9:55pm EST.
[9:55pm] Yari: thank you everyone!