PNC 06/27/21

From United States Pirate Party
Jump to navigation Jump to search






Regular IT meeting - ?

Next tasks:

  1. Report from Bosun on
  2. archive SAB list messages
  3. update old pages in the blog/wiki such as the state contact pages



Old Business

  • Discussion of holding more meetings on YouTube or hosting more recordings/livestreams
  • Suggested resolution that the PNC assure access to the social media to each of the officers of the PNC, as well as each chair of the PNC subcommittees. Additionally, that the PNC commit to researching and implementing a method of tracking the original author of each post made to USPP social media accounts.

New Business

  • How to expand outreach to our supporters


  • jokeefe: James O’Keefe, Massachusetts, USPP Secretary
  • Bosun: Joseph Klein, USPP vice-chair (597 ft above sea-level)


  • wodensday: Anthony Jay, IN
  • Yari: Rose Klein, USPP chair
  • pmchi: Mitchel Davilo, Swarmcare Manager, Chicagoland/ILPP


Outreach and IT gave committee reports.

Discussion of social media access.

Outreach will draft a social media access proposal that covers:

  • one/two people have the actual login credentials, the rest just have tweetdeck access.
  • That also defines how far we want to extend access to volunteers.


Record of the meeting


[9:04pm] Yari: Meeting officially called to order at 9:04 pm EST, IDs please
[9:04pm] jokeefe: James O’Keefe, Massachusetts, USPP Secretary
[9:04pm] wodensday: Anthony Jay, IN
[9:04pm] Yari: Rose Klein, USPP chair
[9:05pm] Yari: Bosun I think you're good, that first one should be on the record.
[9:05pm] Bosun: Joseph Klein, USPP vice-chair (597 ft above sea-level)
[9:05pm] Yari: is pmchi here?
[9:05pm] wodensday: Which means my poorly timed joke will also be on the record, excellent!
[9:06pm] Yari: I'll take silence as a no.
[9:06pm] Yari: okay moving on to old business.
[9:06pm] Yari: actually, sorry - reports
[9:06pm] jokeefe: Meeting page -
[9:06pm] papegaai: Title: PNC 06/27/21 - United States Pirate Party (at
[9:06pm] Yari: jokeefe - IT?
[9:07pm] jokeefe: We met last Thursday
[9:07pm] Yari: nice, I'll try to be at the next one
[9:07pm] Yari: anything fancy happen?
[9:08pm] jokeefe:
[9:08pm] papegaai: Title: IT 07/24/2021 - United States Pirate Party (at
[9:08pm] jokeefe: Blog updated. Bosun working on crew
[9:08pm] Bosun: Yes, I am learning more SQL.
[9:08pm] jokeefe: I am happy to walk through using blog software with outreach committee
[9:09pm] Yari: sounds fun?
[9:09pm] pmchi: Mitchel Davilo, Swarmcare Manager, Chicagoland/ILPP
[9:09pm] Bosun: Outreach gets to kick the dog for a while.
[9:09pm] Yari: wodensday I'll leave that to you and jokeefe to schedule
[9:09pm] Yari: but I think that could be cool
[9:09pm] wodensday: I would love to get to that soon
[9:10pm] Yari: email about it? or maybe just take it to PMs
[9:10pm] Yari: ahoy pmchi! welcome
[9:10pm] pmchi: Ahoy, sorry about that
[9:10pm] wodensday: Yes, I will shoot jokeefe a PM about it and hopefully we can get it going
[9:10pm] Yari: no worries - moving on - wodensday - outreach updates?
[9:10pm] Bosun: outreach morphs into the ministry of propaganda
[9:10pm] jokeefe: excellent
[9:11pm] wodensday: We met on Tuesday. We had a nice conversation about pirate shirts.
[9:11pm] wodensday: I do not believe we have any important updates, though.
[9:11pm] Yari:
[9:11pm] papegaai: Title: Outreach 06/22/2021 - United States Pirate Party (at
[9:12pm] Yari: link to minutes for record
[9:12pm] wodensday: Ah yes, thank you. Had that copied but forgot
[9:12pm] Yari: pirate shirts would be a convo with treasury eventually?
[9:12pm] Yari: but perhaps not until much later on?
[9:13pm] wodensday: For sure. If we are to have some kind of pirate shop they would need to be closely involved, for obvious reasons. But we fo not have any concrete plans yet, it is just a topic of conversation
[9:13pm] Yari: sounds good, glad to hear it's being talked about
[9:14pm] Yari: Joe is not here right now, so I can't really ask about treasury
[9:14pm] Yari: or about platform committee
[9:14pm] Yari: pmchi do you have any updates from swarmcare stuff?
[9:15pm] pmchi: I have reached out to every Facebook page and social media relating to Pirate Parties I could find, invited those interested to the Discord
[9:16pm] Yari: cool! let us know how that goes
[9:16pm] pmchi: It’s my understanding states like Oregon, Kansas and South Dakota were, at the very least, interested in the Discord. Pennsylvania seemed most ready to be active again
[9:16pm] jokeefe: wonderful
[9:16pm] Yari: it would be interesting to see how we can leverage discord as a tool for state organization
[9:17pm] Yari: update from me, the discord person, on that front:
[9:17pm] Yari: state-specific organization channels are coming online by this time next week
[9:17pm] Yari: look forward to that
[9:17pm] pmchi: Wonderful news!
[9:17pm] wodensday: Looking forward to that!
[9:17pm] Yari: moving on - old business!
[9:18pm] Yari: first, I'd like to talk about the resolution that was proposed.
[9:18pm] Yari: :
[9:18pm] Yari: Suggested resolution that the PNC assure access to the social media to each of the officers of the PNC, as well as each chair of the PNC subcommittees. Additionally, that the PNC commit to researching and implementing a method of tracking the original author of each post made to USPP social media accounts.
[9:18pm] Yari: there was a request last time for discussion
[9:18pm] Yari: so, let's discuss
[9:19pm] Yari: Unfortunately, I feel like Joe was the one with the most strong objections, and I would have liked to hear what he had to say
[9:19pm] Yari: jokeefe, do you by chance know what his thoughts were?
[9:20pm] Yari: otherwise, any opinions on this suggested resolution by others are welcome to this discussion
[9:20pm] jokeefe: Not sure. I can ask him, though not now.
[9:20pm] Yari: In that case, we could table this, if you think that is best
[9:21pm] jokeefe: I think assuring access to officers/committee chairs is a good idea
[9:21pm] jokeefe: what is the reason for tracking the original author fo each post?
[9:21pm] Bosun: The admin key conundrum
[9:22pm] Yari: Bosun could you elaborate?
[9:23pm] jokeefe: why give admin key to anyone besides char/vice-chair? we can give/remove access via tweetdeck
[9:24pm] Bosun: You need a person in a position of trust with the "ownership" key. Shared keys can be used by anyone with a key to cutoff the others. So shared keys are less safe than one key-holder.
[9:24pm] Yari: jokeefe my understanding of it is that tracking the authors of the posts would allow for accountability, spread of keys allows for more use of social media
[9:25pm] wodensday: May I comment on this as outreach chair?
[9:25pm] jokeefe: tweet deck allows the account owner to grant access to other twitter users. plus scheduling ...
[9:25pm] Yari: that is a problem, I see that
[9:25pm] Bosun: It depends on the technology platform.
[9:25pm] Yari: wodensday please do
[9:27pm] wodensday: While I understand some security concerns, I do not see them being much of an issue considering the accounts would only be given to officers and committee chairs. Permissions would be going to a very small group of only the most-trusted members.
[9:27pm] wodensday: If we think about the cost-benefit analysis, we'll receive a massive benefit in productivity from this.
[9:28pm] Yari: wodensday agreed, but also it would be best if we could have our cake and eat it too
[9:28pm] wodensday: We can surely keep eyeing the cake
[9:28pm] Yari: give keys to that group and also make sure things are secure
[9:29pm] Yari: jokeefe I don't really know well how tweetdeck works, is there always only one password?
[9:29pm] wodensday: I think we'd all be impressed at what outreach could do if everyone in a position were given more access.
[9:29pm] jokeefe: to be clear  - keys = login credentials?
[9:29pm] Bosun: Hierarchical delegation wherever possible.
[9:29pm] Yari: jokeefe yes?
[9:30pm] jokeefe: tweetdeck is a twitter product, Yari
[9:30pm] jokeefe:
[9:30pm] jokeefe: whomever has the uspirates credentials logs in and grants access to the account to different twitter users
[9:31pm] pmchi: I have access to the ILPP Twitter without the login credentials. Could the same simply just be applied to the elected officials with only the Chair and Vice Chair with password privileges?
[9:31pm] Bosun: tweetdeck only works with twitter and is free so far
[9:31pm] jokeefe: they just login as themselves and can post
[9:31pm] jokeefe: no exchanging of uspirates credentials
[9:32pm] Yari: jokeefe well that sounds awesome, then in that case keys != login credentials
[9:32pm] Bosun: they are invited or blocked by the admin.
[9:32pm] wodensday: Sounds like a good way to get at least one important platform figures out
[9:32pm] Yari: the resolution is proposing that officers be given access to the social media in order to post
[9:32pm] wodensday: *figured
[9:33pm] Yari: which just means that the person with the login credential needs to give them access
[9:33pm] Bosun: yes.
[9:34pm] Yari: does tweetdeck already track which login posts to the account?
[9:34pm] jokeefe: that I am not sure of
[9:34pm] Yari: that phrase was put in to cover our butts
[9:35pm] Yari: in case we get someone on a tirade
[9:35pm] Yari: who violates our social media guidelines
[9:35pm] wodensday: If we, say, find a way to get more people into social media through a process of delegation, should the primary keyholder be captain or swarmcare? Captain makes sense, but I can see there being benefits to giving this to the swarm manager.
[9:35pm] jokeefe: We also need to trust people will do the right thing. perhaps we should review people before granting them positions of authority
[9:35pm] jokeefe: Considering what happened with NYPirates, I don’t think it makes sense to give the login credentials to a wide group of people
[9:36pm] Yari: jokeefe thus the limited group suggested
[9:37pm] wodensday: If we do not trust elected officers and possibly appointed committee chairs, don't we have a larger issue?
[9:37pm] wodensday: Not saying we do
[9:37pm] wodensday: But if we were ever in that position
[9:37pm] jokeefe: agreed wodensday
[9:37pm] Bosun: Trust is always an issue.
[9:37pm] Yari: The rules of our organization should be impenetrable to trust issues
[9:37pm] pmchi: To wodensdays point, we are talking about elected members with keys versus, say, volunteers
[9:38pm] Bosun: Yep - volunteers get revokable keys.
[9:38pm] Bosun: or access.
[9:39pm] Bosun: ... 'nuff rope to hang yourself.
[9:40pm] pmchi: Well, should volunteers/non-elected pirates get access?
[9:40pm] pmchi: That’s where, I believe, ours issues are stemming from
[9:40pm] Bosun: Yes, because it makes it spread faster.
[9:40pm] jokeefe: As far as I know, officers have usually been granted access on tweetdeck
[9:41pm] Yari: jokeefe so for that this resolution is just a formalism
[9:41pm] jokeefe: we can always revoke if someone gets out of line
[9:41pm] wodensday: I'm assuming committee chairs count as volunteers. And if not, they can/should. That way there are only two categories of people to think about (and aren't there only like two of us chairs anyway?)
[9:41pm] jokeefe: committee chairs is new
[9:42pm] wodensday: Officials may or may not be granted more control, and then we set up a system for everyone else
[9:42pm] Bosun: Delegate only to those with full contact information - name, address, phone, email, text
[9:43pm] Bosun: No anon volunteers.
[9:44pm] pmchi: Delegate keys to state captains, and they delegate permission to those they deem acceptable, which then they are responsible for
[9:44pm] jokeefe: states should have their own accounts
[9:44pm] Yari: jokeefe agreed
[9:44pm] wodensday: I don't know if state captains belong on national social by default
[9:44pm] Bosun: yes hierarchical delegation.
[9:44pm] Yari: states should not have access to uspp socials
[9:44pm] Yari: we're just talking about uspp socials rn
[9:44pm] wodensday: They can be, but through the volunteer process
[9:45pm] Bosun: USPP can retweet or repost as desired.
[9:46pm] Bosun: States can do whatever they deem appropriate.
[9:46pm] pmchi: How much access to the USPP socials are we looking to give? We’re just looking for access, not the keys, correct?
[9:47pm] jokeefe: Perhaps outreach could write up a formal proposal and present it at the next meeting
[9:47pm] pmchi: Like, TweetDeck permissions
[9:47pm] jokeefe: In the meantime we should grant officers access
[9:47pm] wodensday: It seems as if we may be thinking bigger than the resolution was intended to go.
[9:47pm] Yari: So, so far - what I'm hearing is that we are thinking about using the original resolution, without tracking posts. We could also specify in the resolution that only one/two people have the actual login credentials, the rest just have tweetdeck access. We also talked about how far we want to extend access to volunteers.
[9:48pm] jokeefe: perfect start
[9:48pm] Bosun: I think each platform has different procedures.
[9:48pm] wodensday: Yeah, our scope at first should be what we want to do for a small in-group
[9:49pm] Yari: wodensday, could you copy that and we'll add it to the agenda for Tuesday
[9:49pm] Yari: (oh, also wodensday - please talk to jokeefe about the wiki account)
[9:50pm] jokeefe: send me your usernames and I will grant access
[9:50pm] wodensday: I will go ahead and keep the whole conversation on hand. Which part in specific?
[9:50pm] Bosun: Jokeefe is doing a jitsi presentation for all of us.
[9:51pm] pmchi: Bosun: on a separate but related note, could you give me the login credentials to ILPP account?
[9:51pm] Yari: wodensday just the whole part that I summarized above, as a start for redrafting it
[9:51pm] wodensday: Sounds good
[9:52pm] Yari: okay, so it sounds like we're tabling this discussion until outreach returns with a re-draft
[9:52pm] Yari: any objections?
[9:52pm] jokeefe: We are over time
[9:52pm] jokeefe: none from me
[9:53pm] Yari: there is no official time, only suggested time - I will of course always welcome motions to adjourn
[9:54pm] Yari: okay well, hearing none - I will simply assume at this point everyone is exhausted
[9:54pm] Yari: are there any objections to adjourning?
[9:55pm] jokeefe: none from me
[9:55pm] Yari: hearing no objections, this meeting is adjourned at 9:55pm EST
[9:56pm] jokeefe: posting minutes