PNC 04/24/2022

From United States Pirate Party
Jump to navigation Jump to search



Old Business

New Business


  • Wodensday: Anthony Jay, INPP
  • pmchi: Mitchel Davilo, Chicagoland/ILPP, Swarmcare Manager
  • jokeefe: James O’Keefe, Secretary, temporary MA rep.
  • Oz: Ethan Osborne, Kentucky
  • Radiojoe: William Dappen, CA

Probationary States

  • WI


  • yari: Rose Klein, PNC chair


Meeting started at 9:05pm Eastern.

Meeting ended at 10:04pm Eastern.


Record of the meeting

[9:04pm] yari: It looks like we have a quorum, with IL, IN, MA, and KY all in attendance.
[9:05pm] yari: with that, I'm going to call this meeting of the PNC to order at 9:04 pm Eastern. ID please
[9:05pm] yari: oops, 9:05
[9:05pm] Oz left the chat room. (connection closed)
[9:05pm] Wodensday: Anthony Jay, INPP
[9:05pm] pmchi: Mitchel Davilo, Chicagoland/ILPP, Swarmcare Manager
[9:05pm] yari: Rose Klein, PNC chair
[9:05pm] Oz joined the chat room.
[9:05pm] jokeefe: James O’Keefe, Secretary, temporary MA rep.
[9:06pm] yari: Oz, could you please share your state and name. let's get started with our usual reports. jokeefe?
[9:07pm] Oz: Ethan Osborne, Kentucky
[9:07pm] jokeefe: IT did not meet. Will meet this week.
[9:08pm] jokeefe: From Secretary - Need to update a few meeting pages.
[9:08pm] Oz: I have to reboot having lag
[9:08pm] Oz left the chat room. (connection closed)
[9:09pm] yari: thank you jokeefe. Will come back to Oz. Wodensday, anything to report?
[9:09pm] Wodensday: Outreach did not have a meeting this week either. The loss of momentum concerns me a bit, but I’m sure we’ll get right back to it in the coming weeks.
[9:11pm] yari: thank you Wodesnday. If you'd like, we can discuss solutions or ways to rebuild momentum as part of discussion. pmchi, anything to report?
[9:11pm] pmchi: Unfortunately I likewise have nothing. The momentum loss has been noted from my end too
[9:12pm] yari: while we're waiting for Oz to return, should this be a discussion?
[9:12pm] Wodensday: Sure.
[9:12pm] yari: I will note of course that there was no meeting last week, and that I haven't been as present the last few weeks.
[9:13pm] jokeefe: Discussion is fine
[9:13pm] Wodensday: It doesn’t seem unlike other ebs and flows we’ve had in the past, but it would definitely be good to brainstorm how we recover so they down periods don’t last a few weeks to a month. That being said, I think a lot of it has to do with the fact a lot of us here in this very meeting were pretty busy this week. It could be a fluke related to
[9:13pm] Wodensday: that.
[9:14pm] TitaniumCowboy left the chat room. (connection closed)
[9:14pm] yari: Yeah - I think I'mm tempted to blame it on our own schedules - but you have a point - we should focus on how to recover from something similar in the future.
[9:14pm] yari: Or prevent it, even
[9:15pm] Wodensday: Complete prevention  may be impossible while we’re still small, I will say that these periods have gotten noticeably shorter and less severe over the past few months and we should pat ourselves on the back for that.
[9:15pm] yari: Certainly one potential solution is simply in recruitment, to your point
[9:16pm] yari: Is there anything we can do structure-wise though? Is this just a numbers game?
[9:16pm] yari: I'm down for the numbers game if that's what it is
[9:16pm] TitaniumCowboy joined the chat room.
[9:16pm] Wodensday: On my end, I think I’m going to switch outreach to a more rigid model again.
[9:17pm] Oz joined the chat room.
[9:17pm] yari: Has the fluid version not been working well?
[9:17pm] Wodensday: I don’t really like that, but I think it may help. I don’t feel like we’ve been as productive since we decentralized and liquidized it.
[9:17pm] Wodensday: I want to try the experiment again when we have more people.
[9:18pm] yari: Yeah, that's fair. I think you have to have enough energy and people so that when you spread it out folks don't feel like they're working alone
[9:19pm] Oz: Sorry I'm back
[9:19pm] Wodensday: In the current form, I feel like people were still looking for direction and commands from someone who was very decidedly not a commander. Brushing up on my swarmwise may also help.
[9:19pm] yari: Wondering about if we had a virtual pirate hack-a-thon
[9:19pm] yari: jokeefe, didn't you host a hack-a-thon for MAPP?
[9:20pm] TitaniumCowboy left the chat room. (connection closed)
[9:20pm] jokeefe: we have hosted them in the past.
[9:20pm] yari: welcome back Oz. We're discussing how to prevent slouches in volunteer energy within USPP
[9:20pm] Oz: copy
[9:20pm] yari: I'll get to your report in a moment
[9:21pm] Wodensday: I wouldn’t be so concerned with this slump if it wasn’t a month before our convention. We planned big, and that’s amazing, but I know the temporary convention committee and the board can’t do this alone.
[9:21pm] TitaniumCowboy joined the chat room.
[9:22pm] yari: just an idea, could be worth looking into - might be nice to have an event where instead of just talking about stuff we also did stuff
[9:22pm] Wodensday: We’re expecting the numbers of our new high.
[9:22pm] yari: and seconding what wodensday said
[9:22pm] jokeefe: convention should be our focus
[9:22pm] yari: yeah, not saying hackathon should be something to think about now
[9:22pm] Wodensday: I like that idea Yari.
[9:23pm] yari: okay jokeefe could you do me a favor and put a hackathon in as an agenda item in for a meeting after the convention?
[9:23pm] jokeefe: sure
[9:23pm] yari: thank you
[9:24pm] yari: anyway, Oz - anything to report?
[9:25pm] Oz: .Just that the fledgling KYPP.ORG website is now up.  sorry i'm having lagging issues
[9:25pm] yari: no worries Oz
[9:26pm] yari: glad it's up!
[9:26pm] yari: Is there any further discussion or debate folks would like to have about reports?
[9:26pm] Wodensday: None here
[9:27pm] yari: hearing none, let's move on to business -
[9:27pm] yari: new business: update on the pirate party conference
[9:27pm] yari: We have a page now on
[9:28pm] yari: so that's something. Have we made posts on our social media accounts?
[9:28pm] yari: and I suppose my other question is just: What needs to be done and how can other folks help us get it done?
[9:28pm] yari: as jokeefe said, this should be the central focus
[9:29pm] Wodensday: I don’t believe we’ve promoted it much behind a tweet or two. That’s on me, I planned to throw it into the newsletter, but that is currently in development hell.
[9:30pm] yari: okay, do you need someone to throw another tweet out?
[9:30pm] jokeefe: regular posts on the blog / social media will be good.
[9:30pm] yari: I could even schedule a few
[9:30pm] Wodensday: What I would like to do this week is to start a serious campaign, with regular tweets, a page that has some more style and detail, multiple blog posts over the coming weeks, and an actual formal press release.
[9:30pm] jokeefe: what is the etherpad page?
[9:31pm] Wodensday: For which?
[9:31pm] yari: jokeefe what etherpad?
[9:31pm] jokeefe: wasn’t there a shared page for planning the conference?
[9:31pm] yari: ohhh
[9:32pm] yari:
[9:32pm] papegaai: Title: Etherpad (at
[9:32pm] yari: there you go
[9:33pm] jokeefe: thanks
[9:33pm] yari: Wodensday we need to start filling in the agenda with the people who have submitted talks
[9:34pm] yari: Maybe we can set aside some time to do that?
[9:34pm] Wodensday: Absolutely we can do that.
[9:34pm] Wodensday: I’m always available before outreach on Tuesday.
[9:34pm] yari: cool
[9:36pm] yari: Regular tweets: can we get someone to post every couple days to the twitter about the conference? I will ping you on discord or email if you agree to do this.
[9:36pm] yari: volunteers, anyone?
[9:36pm] Wodensday: I should, and I can. If you remind me I can send em out.
[9:36pm] yari: thank you very much Wodensday.
[9:36pm] Oz: sure i  can
[9:36pm] yari: Oh nice, Oz!
[9:37pm] jokeefe: I can help
[9:37pm] yari: sweet
[9:38pm] yari: Can one of you three take lead on coordinating that then? I'll be happy to send out emails every other day to all of you if that helps, and I can add Oz to the account
[9:38pm] TitaniumCowboy left the chat room. (connection closed)
[9:38pm] yari: Just so long as you know which one is doing which day or something
[9:39pm] Wodensday: Yeah sure, I can step up.
[9:39pm] jokeefe: I will post between 8-noon Eastern
[9:39pm] jokeefe: 8am-noon of course
[9:40pm] yari: okay Wodensday I'll send you all reminders, please coordinate between the three of you who is posting what and when
[9:40pm] yari: thank you
[9:40pm] Wodensday: We don’t all need to tweet every day, just enough that people know what’s going on. Preferably each one will have new updates or information.
[9:41pm] yari: next up is editing the page
[9:41pm] Oz: have we signed up for days /topics for the conference?
[9:42pm] jokeefe: I am going to move the 2021 info into its own page.
[9:42pm] Wodensday: We sent out the form Oz, that’s how we’re collecting all of our topics. If you want it I can get it to uou
[9:42pm] yari: Oz
[9:42pm] papegaai: Title: CryptPad (at
[9:42pm] yari: that's the form
[9:42pm] yari: jokeefe I tried to do just that
[9:42pm] jokeefe: will be a sub page
[9:42pm] jokeefe: ok yari
[9:42pm] yari: I don't know how well I succeeded
[9:44pm] jokeefe: will take a look
[9:44pm] yari: okay so we need a couple people to work on the website to make it look nice, have the form link, have any information for the conference, and help funnel people to the proper channels.
[9:44pm] yari: I'm down to help with this, so I'll volunteer myself
[9:45pm] yari: could I get anyone to help out?
[9:45pm] Wodensday: Don’t we still have that patriot act channel in the discord?
[9:46pm] Wodensday: I suggest we switch it to a convention planning channel, collaborate on this frequently
[9:46pm] yari: we do, I think
[9:46pm] yari: yes we do
[9:46pm] yari: that's a fair suggestion
[9:46pm] yari: thoughts?
[9:47pm] Oz left the chat room.
[9:47pm] jokeefe: sounds good to me
[9:48pm] jokeefe: also, I am able to work on making the blog look pretty
[9:48pm] yari: okay thank you jokeefe. I'll add you to my list.
[9:48pm] yari: and I can go ahead and make that discord change.
[9:48pm] jokeefe: you available for Thursday IT meeting? we could work on it more then
[9:48pm] yari: sure!
[9:49pm] yari: sounds like a plan
[9:49pm] Oz joined the chat room.
[9:49pm] jokeefe: perfect
[9:49pm] Wodensday: I’ll also make sure I turn that logo thing I showed you in Mitch into an actual brand kit of sorts, or something close yari
[9:49pm] Oz: Sorry I had to switch to another device
[9:49pm] Wodensday: That could help all of us on our individual projects
[9:50pm] yari: cool, thank you Wodensday. I can be backup for graphic design so let me know if you feel like you're running low on energy.
[9:51pm] Oz: I want to help any way I can but web design is not my skill lol
[9:51pm] Wodensday: While I can’t guarantee my full energy again quite yet, I can at the very least be incredibly communicative in the channel and encourage everyone else to do the same
[9:51pm] yari: That's fair Oz, there's other things to help with too
[9:51pm] Wodensday: We can cover for each other and get this done
[9:51pm] yari: was about to ask about the blog posts and the press release
[9:52pm] yari: thoughts on blog posts?
[9:52pm] yari: Anyone willing to help bottomline that?
[9:52pm] yari: perhaps, since we're short staffed, that could be something done with the help of our writers in the discord?
[9:52pm] Wodensday: That’s a good idea.
[9:53pm] Wodensday: I’ll try and facilitate things as much as I can even on days where my direct involvement is minimal
[9:53pm] Oz: Do you need articles for the newsletter or new website?
[9:54pm] yari: Oz we need blog posts and/or a formal press release to hype up the upcoming conference
[9:54pm] yari: would you like to help out?
[9:54pm] Oz: Yes I can help as much as possible
[9:54pm] jokeefe: I will commit to posting a weekly Pirate News post if you want
[9:55pm] Wodensday: (If you want to help with the newsletter too that’s surely still in the works somewhere)
[9:55pm] yari: jokeefe do you mean a summary of the pirate news from MAPP? or a post linking to it?
[9:56pm] yari: Even a post linking to it would be fantastic
[9:56pm] Oz: I need to catch up on all the details of the conference I missed a meeting or two
[9:56pm] Radiojoe joined the chat room.
[9:56pm] yari: Welcom Radiojoe! Please ID
[9:56pm] jokeefe: Pretty much a copy. The YT video would be in-line not linked to
[9:56pm] Radiojoe: hi, William Dappen, CA
[9:56pm] yari: sounds awesome, jokeefe. I'm super into that.
[9:57pm] jokeefe: ok. will start tomorrow.
[9:57pm] yari: Okay so I have jokeefe posting weekly pirate news posts, thank you for that.
[9:57pm] Wodensday: ~jokeefe I’d give yourself some freedom there though, don’t be afraid to take topics you discussed and adapt them into a more standard article format if that’s what calls to you
[9:58pm] yari: and I have Oz and Wodensday teaming up to help get people in the discord writing blog posts/a formal press release for the upcoming conference
[9:58pm] jokeefe: Freedom is good, Wodensday
[9:58pm] Wodensday: Short posts about specific topics the MAPP is passionate about and talked about on Pirate news could be fantastic for the blog
[9:58pm] yari: seconding what wodensday said, also please don't stress about it too much
[9:59pm] Wodensday: I’d honestly just like for us all to write more for the blog about issues and current events important to us. No need to have a specific column so long as the customary three Pirates have checked off on it.
[10:00pm] yari: Okay, I think in order for all of this to work I need to make sure Oz had permissions on Twitter and jokeefe if you could make sure Oz has permissions on the website
[10:00pm] jokeefe: yes, will do that.
[10:00pm] yari: thank you!
[10:01pm] Oz: You're talking about the USPP twitter and website right?
[10:01pm] yari: yep!
[10:01pm] Oz: Ok cool
[10:02pm] yari: just want to make sure you have posting permissions if you're going to be helping out.
[10:02pm] Wodensday: Motion to adjourn?
[10:02pm] yari: fair enough, was about to ask about that
[10:02pm] yari: seconds from folks?
[10:03pm] Oz: Second
[10:03pm] yari: our one formal vote of the day!
[10:03pm] yari: please vote aye or nay to adjourn
[10:03pm] Wodensday: Aye
[10:03pm] Oz: Aye
[10:03pm] Radiojoe: aye
[10:03pm] jokeefe: aye
[10:03pm] yari: pmchi?
[10:04pm] yari: four for, one not voting, this meeting of the PNC is adjourned at 10:04pm eastern