Outreach 01/26/21

From United States Pirate Party
Jump to navigation Jump to search
[20:05:15] Bosun (~Bosun@2601:240:e380:8f50:2d86:9b6e:9c3d:3438) joined the channel
[20:05:15] Topic is Welcome to the United States Pirate Party - uspirates.org | Have a question? Just ask here! | USPP IT: #uspp-it | PNC: Sundays 9-9:30pm ET | Agenda: wiki.pirate-party.us | Sign up: crew.uspirates.org
[20:05:15] Set by jokeefe on December 30, 2020 at 7:24:25 PM CST
[20:05:15] -ChanServ-  Welcome to the United States Pirate Party - uspirates.org | Have a question? Just ask here! | USPP IT: #uspp-it | PNC: Sundays 9-9:30pm ET | Agenda: wiki.pirate-party.us | Sign up: crew.uspirates.org
[20:05:15] Website is http://uspirates.org
[20:05:15] ChanServ sets mode +o Bosun
[20:05:16] Mode is +nt
[20:05:18] <Olivia_> I've been obsessed with all things coup and Q this month.
[20:05:24] <yari> Ahoy Bosun
[20:05:41] <@Bosun> I am asleep.
[20:05:49] <yari> Bosun usually joins for these meetings, which Is why I pinged
[20:05:54] <Olivia_> Hello!
[20:05:55] <@Bosun> Ahoy awake people
[20:06:08] <pmchi> Ahoy from Slumberland
[20:06:30] <yari> Joe and Jamie do not usually join for Tuesdays, as far as I am aware. Not sure if they have a conflict
[20:06:35] <@Bosun> I am wrestling with our twitter feed.
[20:06:56] <Olivia_> Wrestling how?  
[20:07:40] <@Bosun> I have USPP, CAPP, WIPP and ILPP on tweetdeck.
[20:07:51] <pmchi> Thank goodness
[20:07:56] <Korath> The day when a 4chan meme became a serious political issue I was like damn
[20:08:14] <yari> Given that we have a good crowd though, I'd like to get started. 
[20:08:14] <yari> Ids?
[20:08:16] <pmchi> The inactivity of the USPP account has been a bad look
[20:08:37] <pmchi> Mitchel Davilo, Chicago/ILPP
[20:08:40] <@Bosun> Joe Klein USPP chair
[20:08:48] <Korath> Frank Yanez / Oregon 
[20:08:52] <yari> Rose Klein, California
[20:09:17] <Olivia_> Olivia Kristiann, volunteer
[20:09:22] <yari> wonderful
[20:09:41] <yari> Old business?
[20:09:53] <Olivia_> If anyone wants daily updates on the USPP account, send me an invite.  I'll hold back personal opinions for now to see how things work out.
[20:10:27] <@Bosun> I have a a mail list for us.
[20:10:30] <Olivia_> My work is online so it's like I'm always online somewhere at most times.
[20:10:53] <yari> Last I recall old business was the convention document, though arguably that should not be the work of this committee.
[20:11:28] <yari> Olivia, thanks for the note!
[20:11:43] <@Bosun> https://lists.mayfirst.org/mailman/listinfo/uspp-outreach
[20:11:44] <papegaai> Title: USPP-outreach Info Page (at lists.mayfirst.org)
[20:11:50] <Korath> How is the crew.uspirates.org being utilized 
[20:12:35] <@Bosun> general sighn up and newletter
[20:13:19] <Korath> Newsletters are great
[20:13:25] <yari> Korath, actually I appreciate you bringing that up. Can we discuss that more in new business? I think it might be best for us to leverage it
[20:13:55] <yari> Was there any other old business besides the convention document?
[20:13:57] <Korath> Having a regular bi-weekly new letter would be cool 
[20:14:30] <@Bosun> we also have platform https://lists.mayfirst.org/mailman/listinfo/uspp-platform
[20:14:32] <papegaai> Title: Uspp-platform Info Page (at lists.mayfirst.org)
[20:15:25] <@Bosun> You want to write it? We need more content production unless we depend on European feeds.
[20:16:17] <@Bosun> I have been movins so my production has been approching zero.
[20:16:32] <@Bosun> moving
[20:17:18] <yari> Hearing no more old business
[20:17:27] <Olivia_> Write for the platform?  How are the lists different from the one already used SAB?
[20:17:43] <yari> I think Bosun was referring to writing a newsletter
[20:17:50] <Olivia_> Unless you meant updating the twitter?
[20:17:58] <Korath> Not particularly the most formal or eloquent writer though finding a writer would be a good start though the newsletters should be reviewed by the PNC before being sent out
[20:17:59] <Olivia_> OH okay.
[20:18:10] <yari> Which should be discussed later, I will remind us
[20:18:33] <yari> Bosun, would you like someone else to take over the convention document writing?
[20:18:52] <Olivia_> Oh yeah every Party needs a writer whose sole mission is writing bout whatever is current in the world.
[20:19:07] <@Bosun> I would be happy to work with anyone.
[20:19:25] <yari> Yes, I encourage you to work with everyone, but it's not getting done
[20:19:31] <yari> Unless you have updates
[20:19:34] <yari> ?
[20:19:42] <yari> Would you like someone else to helm it
[20:20:05] <yari> Since it sounds as though you are busy with moving at the moment
[20:20:20] <@Bosun> Yes - long delay - then product _ I am like a fault line.
[20:20:53] <Olivia_> Writing comes harder for me and trying to make it seem professional.  Unless it's micro-writing like in tweet style LOL.
[20:21:12] <yari> Your work is of excellent quality, Bosun - I just want to make sure this gets done sooner than later
[20:21:27] <@Bosun> I will offer draft isead if someone else will lead.
[20:21:41] <@Bosun> ideas.
[20:22:05] <yari> If there are no other volunteers, I can do so.
[20:22:12] <Korath> Sorry to ask since I am new but what is the Convention Document about 
[20:23:23] <yari> Convention document refers to a document outlining the requirements that a delegation must fulfill in order to join the pirate convention
[20:23:40] <yari> Specifically the convention to elect presidential candidates
[20:23:42] <@Bosun> OK. The USPP is constituted as a coop. Typically a convention has a different set of rules. Each state with one vote is a bit ot there for nominating a national office.
[20:24:25] <@Bosun> So how are delegates selected, how many, how credentialed?
[20:25:00] <Korath> Pretty serious stuff and it would have to be very detailed it is a lot for one person to write
[20:25:16] <Korath> Getting out a draft first could be good though just so people can ideas and clarifications onto it
[20:25:29] <yari> It would be a collaborative document, and yes - draft is the important part
[20:25:29] <@Bosun> Ds. and Rs use electoral votes. Is that fair to DC and PR and Guam et.?
[20:26:17] <yari> Anyway, any other volunteers for taking the helm? I'm sure there would be other collaborators from the PNC
[20:26:44] <yari> okay
[20:26:44] <Korath> I would not mind help writing but I would not want to take the helm 
[20:26:52] <yari> Hearing none, I'll take it
[20:27:06] <yari> Sounds good, Korath - I'll message you
[20:27:09] <yari> thanks
[20:27:11] <@Bosun> Research then - you looked at greens.
[20:27:22] <yari> I will Bosun, please send me your ideas
[20:27:26] <yari> Thank you
[20:27:40] <yari> That resolved, can we quickly move on to updates from states?
[20:27:47] <yari> IL specifically?
[20:28:14] <pmchi> I have no updates so to speak on IL
[20:28:35] <@Bosun> We have a twitter handle now.
[20:28:57] <pmchi> I was given permission to it, but I have no clue how to use TweetDecl
[20:29:01] <pmchi> TweetDeck
[20:29:28] <Olivia_> Are you on desktop or mobile?
[20:29:47] <pmchi> Mobile, but I have access to a desktop should need be
[20:30:03] <yari> I have another email contact in CA, potentially something that may lead to key access - we shall see. 
[20:30:38] <yari> If this contact doesn't work out I think it will be time to just call quits and make a new set of socials
[20:30:50] <yari> Then start spamming out the propoganda
[20:30:50] <pmchi> Bosun: did you want delegates from Guam, PR, etc. to have delegates equal to the states?
[20:31:17] <yari> Pmchi population proportional was the idea that bosun proposed
[20:31:47] <yari> Bah sorry, bosun, I should let you respond
[20:31:49] <Olivia_> There are tutorials on Youtube and different guides online.  I wouldn't know how on mobile.
[20:32:00] <Olivia_> tweetdeck
[20:32:15] <yari> any other state updates?
[20:32:16] <@Bosun> no go ahead - I have been beaten by a 2 year old all day.
[20:32:20] <pmchi> I’ll watch some on YouTube and get myself all educated
[20:32:50] <Korath> I mean on the one hand they do not vote for president but on the other hand I think it is important to let them have a say since they are still represented by the president
[20:33:13] <@Bosun> I though I built a CAPP twitter - I'll call you about tweetdeck
[20:33:34] <@Bosun> I invited Olivia to a few.
[20:33:41] <pmchi> Anyone who pays federal tax should have a say. For a country build on “no taxation without representation”, we sure do have quite a bit of cases where that’s still the case
[20:34:23] <@Bosun> That would be all including territories, district and commonwealth
[20:34:48] <Korath> Also they started counting the territories in the census so votes delegates can be determined there like it is for other states
[20:34:54] <yari> We are technically at time, but I would like us to discuss or at least table the discussion about newsletters. Any objections to going over time?
[20:35:11] <Korath> None here
[20:35:11] <Olivia_> I haven't on USPP yet.  Should people their names or initials if writing personal opinions?  Suck as blah blah blah /Olivia or blah blah blah /ok  (the initials ok being for my name.
[20:35:41] <@Bosun> 56 I think - if my number are right. States and holdings.
[20:35:44] <pmchi> Newsletters: could that perhaps be a group contribution? Everyone writes of a certain subject(s) and an editor to make it pretty
[20:35:57] <Korath> No taxes without representation is a excellent point. Also the census now takes place in the territories so delegates can be determined there like how it is for other states
[20:35:59] <pmchi> 56 I believe is the magic number
[20:36:08] <yari> Hearing no objections, we continue
[20:36:34] <Korath> I like the idea of people contributing articles and the writer/editor compiling everything together
[20:37:12] <@Bosun> We need to make the states noisy and have USPP use them as feeders.
[20:37:28] <yari> Korath, this could eventually be a feed for general letters of opinion from pirates
[20:38:03] <yari> Would the submitters all have to be registered with the crew signup?
[20:38:10] <@Bosun> I can PPI feed for the initial news. One per week.
[20:38:38] <Korath> Well I think there should be a official section for official PNC events/policies and opinions sections for regular members to contribute 
[20:38:41] <@Bosun> To post.
[20:38:44] <Korath> Sort of how newspaper are done
[20:38:47] <@Bosun> yes.
[20:39:32] <yari> Agreed
[20:39:48] <Korath> I think registration is important qualification for submitters 
[20:39:51] <@Bosun> Editopr is essentialy the moderator. Newsletter is essential a digest.
[20:40:05] <@Bosun> Editor.
[20:40:12] <@Bosun> sleepy fingers.
[20:40:57] <yari> The nice thing here is that eventually we could just point to the newsletter anytime people ask about out platform
[20:40:57] <@Bosun> If you trust a writer you flip off the moderate flag.
[20:41:28] <Korath> We should still make sure to have a policy/platform section in the wiki
[20:41:36] <pmchi> I’d personally love to write a section updating on the news from other pirate parties in the world. Pointing this out as a global movement with parties in every country
[20:41:37] <yari> Korath agreed of course
[20:41:38] <Korath> So that people can utilize that 
[20:41:49] <Olivia_> What do you mean by registration Korath?  In order to submit an article written, we need to be crew members?
[20:42:03] <yari> Olivia, that's what I was suggesting
[20:42:08] <yari> It encourages people to register
[20:42:10] <@Bosun> yes.
[20:42:14] <Korath> ^ yari
[20:42:20] <pmchi> ^^
[20:42:53] <Korath> I did want to get a chance to bring up the discord and utilizing it more in todays outreach meeting
[20:42:57] <@Bosun> We can mung address.
[20:43:00] <Olivia_> I'm not a crew member because I'm anonymous.
[20:43:17] <Korath> I have been reaching out to the admins about forming partnerships with over servers to attract more members
[20:43:28] <Korath> and we could hold events on the discord to educate our members about the pirate party
[20:43:35] <pmchi> There’s a lot of fellow pirate servers I wish we’d connect with
[20:43:58] <Olivia_> Having Discord bridges means nothing we say on Discord will be private.  Unless that's what people want.
[20:44:05] <Korath> A lot of young people are on discord and a party centered around tech issues would resonate more I think
[20:44:13] <pmchi> Ultimate transparency
[20:44:23] <Korath> I mean discord is terrible for privacy because it tracks and sells your data
[20:44:32] <Korath> but most people do not know what IRC is or how to use it
[20:44:41] <Korath> So it is good for outreach
[20:44:45] <pmchi> Discord is good for outreach
[20:44:53] <pmchi> But not for official business
[20:45:07] <Korath> Agreed
[20:45:18] <pmchi> But to get people interested and involved? Near perfect
[20:45:48] <Olivia_> Someone would have to maintain those bridges because the groups I'm in always falls while someone techie would have to maintain them.
[20:45:55] <@Bosun> Why not signal?
[20:46:15] <Olivia_> Signal shows phone numbers.
[20:46:26] <yari> I think, based on that, one of my first actions after today should be to update our discord so that there is a description there that assumes you don't know anything about the party
[20:46:35] <Olivia_> Unlike Telegram you can hide it now.
[20:46:48] <Korath> A description about the party and links to resources is good
[20:47:19] <Korath> links to the No Safe Harbor book, Youtube Channels, Twitter Channels, Wiki, Official Party Website
[20:47:20] <Korath> etc
[20:47:34] <yari> ofc
[20:48:02] <pmchi> Speaking of Wiki, the USPP Wikipedia could use an update
[20:48:10] <@Bosun> chat is too bloody complex these day ... I sound like an old timer.
[20:48:25] <Korath> I also wanted to bring up making the partnership channel and crafting the advert for the party discord 
[20:48:50] <yari> oookay hang on
[20:49:03] <@Bosun> Ye severything. could use an update. We ned to get to the point of having staff.
[20:49:20] <yari> We just got like three new orders of business introduced and we didn't even really finish the things before that
[20:49:30] <pmchi> Can we hire unpaid interns? /s
[20:49:38] <Korath> Does the wiki have a volunteer staff?
[20:49:38] <yari> Pmchi with what funds
[20:49:40] <yari> Oh 
[20:49:42] <yari> unpaid
[20:49:50] <yari> lol
[20:50:09] <@Bosun> Trhy it for you campign. then tell me.
[20:50:19] <yari> Korath not really
[20:50:33] <pmchi> Good point lol
[20:50:35] <Korath> Who has been putting most of the information on so far
[20:50:44] <Korath> I know there is like a party secretary who records and posts the meetings
[20:50:55] <Korath> outside of that who else puts in edits 
[20:50:55] <yari> Okay back up back up
[20:51:06] <yari> hold off on the wiki stuff
[20:51:14] <yari> Are we done talking about discord?
[20:51:15] <@Bosun> Liz did it for a while, James sometimes, me sometimes
[20:51:26] <yari> Also, it's late
[20:51:30] <yari> And we need to end soon
[20:51:39] <yari> So we're just going to table some of this stuff
[20:51:46] <yari> And y'all have to deal with it
[20:52:14] <yari> Are we done talking about discord?
[20:52:17] <@Bosun> yes - little bites.
[20:52:59] <@Bosun> Olivia is right - bridges are messy and break.
[20:53:26] <@Bosun> IRC is crap but it works,
[20:53:35] <yari> What I got from that discussion about discord - 
[20:53:36] <yari> We need a bridge to IRC - would be nice, but how do we do that?
[20:53:36] <yari> We need a partnership channel, and adverts - Korath, we can talk about that and bring it up next meeting. Let's make a draft.
[20:53:43] <Olivia_> The one who handles it elsewhere wanted to burn IRC to the ground the other month lol.
[20:54:14] <@Bosun> PPI?
[20:54:24] <Olivia_> No 
[20:54:30] <@Bosun> AU?
[20:54:30] <yari> Pmchi if you have other pirate discord servers you know, please send them to either myself or Korath on discord
[20:54:39] <Olivia_> GlobalPirates
[20:54:44] <Olivia_> Mikaela
[20:54:54] <Korath> Also table finding a writer/editor for the newsletter
[20:55:09] <pmchi> I noticed there’s a Texas PP discord, maybe we can find out what that’s about???
[20:55:40] <yari> Pmchi if you have a link plz send it to me
[20:56:02] <Olivia_> Many times messages never get through because bridges fell.  
[20:56:04] <@Bosun> Soome readhats are fake pirates. Be careful.
[20:56:40] <Olivia_> I once sent something to the PPI telegram without knowing it was bridged.  LOL
[20:56:47] <Korath> What is a fake pirate
[20:57:10] <yari> Okay so, for next time we are tabling: 
[20:57:10] <yari> Finding an editor/writer for the newsletter, updating the USPP wiki, discord connections and promotion, discussing the IRC bridge?

[20:57:26] <Korath> Sounds good
[20:57:37] <yari> objections/additions?
[20:57:52] <@Bosun> A fascist is a fake pirate.
[20:58:09] <Olivia_> maybe link in bios the Discord link?  I can't now I have haters that would troll it.
[20:58:22] <Olivia_> for promtoion
[20:58:25] <Korath> Fascists are usually not for a free internet or privacy right protections
[20:58:31] <Olivia_> promotion*
[20:58:41] <Korath> I figured the party would have more issues with libertarian kind of people joining 
[20:59:10] <pmchi> Former LP member myself
[20:59:15] <Korath> ^
[20:59:49] <@Bosun> Libertarian cut two ways - capatlist tend to move faccist and anarchist libertarians not.
[21:00:24] <pmchi> Nothing libertarians hate more than other libertarians
[21:00:29] <Korath> Well being a anti corporate party we would probably not want the former 
[21:00:40] <pmchi> ^^
[21:00:42] <yari> indeed
[21:00:44] <@Bosun> Unregulated capitalist tends to devolve into fascism.
[21:00:47] <Korath> But yeah there are like six different kinds of libertarians 
[21:00:49] <yari> Shall we adjourn then?
[21:00:57] <Korath> I encourage people here on the IRC to join the discord 
[21:01:02] <Korath> so we can have active discussions like these
[21:01:06] <yari> Yes, agreed - thank you Korath
[21:01:12] <pmchi> Agreed
[21:01:14] <pmchi> And 2nd
[21:01:20] <Korath> 3rd
[21:01:27] <Olivia_> 4th
[21:01:36] <yari> without objection, we are adjourned
[21:01:43] <yari> See you all next week
[21:01:44] <@Bosun> hwen do we discord meet?
[21:01:45] <yari> Thank you
[21:01:52] <Korath> hopefully never
[21:01:53] <Olivia_> Goodnight everyone!
[21:02:03] <yari> Bosun, could you post please?
[21:02:15] <@Bosun> yhes
[21:02:18] <@Bosun> yes