Difference between revisions of "PNC 06/13/21"

From United States Pirate Party
Jump to navigation Jump to search
 
(5 intermediate revisions by the same user not shown)
Line 37: Line 37:
 
== Summary ==
 
== Summary ==
  
 +
We did not have quorum, so general discussion ensued.
  
 
== Minutes ==
 
== Minutes ==
Line 115: Line 116:
 
[9:26pm] jokeefe: Godaddy has poor security
 
[9:26pm] jokeefe: Godaddy has poor security
 
[9:26pm] Yari: once you have a site of some sort and another member, then we can add ILPP
 
[9:26pm] Yari: once you have a site of some sort and another member, then we can add ILPP
 +
[9:26pm] Yari: Joe of course
 +
[9:26pm] pmchi: Thank you guys! I will work this week to set up a website. But would Bosun not count as the second ILPP member?
 +
[9:26pm] Joe: Have a wonderful evening!
 +
[9:27pm] jokeefe: Technically he is in WIPP
 +
[9:27pm] Yari: pmchi - Bosun is right now the rep for WI
 +
[9:27pm] jokeefe: you too Joe
 +
[9:27pm] Joe left the chat room. (Quit: Connection closed)
 +
[9:27pm] Yari: if he becomes ILPP, then we have no WIPP and we're back where we started
 +
[9:28pm] Yari: so we need him to get the rest of the people in WI back on board and repping before we can come join you
 +
[9:28pm] wodensday: Is the WIPP that small? I got the impression it was one of our best states
 +
[9:29pm] Yari: wodensday - it has a number of people who are interested/knowledgeable, but very few active volunteers
 +
[9:29pm] wodensday: Ah, makes sense
 +
[9:29pm] Yari: we have lots of pull there, we just need to USE it
 +
[9:32pm] Yari: hey jokeefe, just checking - your email meant that I receive emails from info@ now?
 +
[9:33pm] jokeefe: yes
 +
[9:33pm] Yari: wonderful
 +
[9:33pm] jokeefe: and press@ and hello@
 +
[9:33pm] Yari: cool
 +
[9:33pm] Yari: I just had a thought that I'd also like to pitch to... maybe not the next meeting, but perhaps the one after that.
 +
[9:34pm] wodensday: Oh?
 +
[9:34pm] jokeefe: sure
 +
[9:35pm] Yari: What if the USPP did the setup and paid for the hosting costs of any state party website that asked for it for the first 6mo-1yr? That way state parties have a small amount of time in which they are incentivized to get cash flow from members
 +
[9:35pm] Yari: donations and such, that is
 +
[9:36pm] Yari: It would also be a big step in decreasing the barriers for setting up state parties for those who aren't IT folks
 +
[9:36pm] wodensday: It might also help state parties look and feel like credible activists
 +
[9:36pm] Yari: exactly
 +
[9:37pm] wodensday: While they figure themselves out
 +
[9:37pm] Yari: and there would be some more... cohesiveness? Or there could be - if they wanted it.
 +
[9:38pm] jokeefe: We could do it, though, it would be good to have more volunteers to maintain the sites
 +
[9:38pm] Yari: I absolutely agree, it would take some increase in our numbers
 +
[9:38pm] Yari: I think we could handle... one, right now.
 +
[9:39pm] Yari: The ideal situation here is that it incentivizes an increase in numbers as well
 +
[9:39pm] wodensday: Cohesiveness could be appealing. If state parties had an opportunity to be somewhat horizontally integrated with the national committee, it would take off the sometimes scary edge of starting your own brand new project
 +
[9:39pm] wodensday: Vertical*
 +
[9:40pm] wodensday: Any way we can show support to local movements is a positive
 +
[9:41pm] Yari: I do think we need to make a decision soon about the fundamental nature of our PNC bylaws though
 +
[9:41pm] Yari: as to whether we should be member based or state based
 +
[9:42pm] Yari: and I feel like if we grow too much as a state-based org, we might be missing out on a lot of the early benefits of switching to a member-based model
 +
[9:43pm] jokeefe: What do you think of the participation rate in the Discord?
 +
[9:44pm] Yari: I think it could be higher, but I have some ideas about how to do that (most of which I just haven't had the time to implement)
 +
[9:44pm] Yari: honestly it's not too bad
 +
[9:45pm] Yari: It's about what we'd expect - 10-20%
 +
[9:45pm] wodensday: I do wonder if there needs to be some separate location to just casually chat about pirate ideals, as opposed to the more all-business nature of the discord.
 +
[9:45pm] wodensday: A place for networking
 +
[9:46pm] Yari: I mean, there's pirate beer for the PPI. We could maybe consider doing something similar?
 +
[9:46pm] jokeefe: would could
 +
[9:46pm] Yari: I don't know how those usually go, never been to one
 +
[9:47pm] Yari: I should probably do that
 +
[9:47pm] pmchi: Might I also suggest channels specifically for those with specific regional tags? I saw Liz wanted Discord to be used more for local organization and that might be a good way to keep from channels getting clogged
 +
[9:47pm] Yari: pmchi - working on it
 +
[9:47pm] Yari: there are state specific tags, just...
 +
[9:47pm] jokeefe: It is pirates around the world coming in and out of the chat and talking.
 +
[9:47pm] Yari: that's one of the things I haven't had time for yet
 +
[9:48pm] Yari: First on my list was the committee tags
 +
[9:49pm] wodensday: Something akin to pirate beer could have a great relationship with an increased PNC social media presence.
 +
[9:51pm] Yari: okay cool, let's talk about it at the next outreach then!
 +
[9:51pm] wodensday: Sounds good!
 +
[9:51pm] Yari: also wodensday do you want to be chair of outreach?
 +
[9:52pm] wodensday: I would be honored. I'd really love to
 +
[9:52pm] jokeefe: I have to say good night. Updated https://wiki.uspirates.org/w/index.php?title=PNC_06/13/21 with a transcript of the discussion
 +
[9:52pm] papegaai: Title: PNC 06/13/21 - United States Pirate Party (at wiki.uspirates.org)
 +
[9:53pm] wodensday: Was wondering what you were going to do about that, haha. With your new promotion (congrats by the way!)
 +
[9:53pm] Yari: okay, cool - let me know if any of it gets to be too much. I'm here to help
 +
[9:53pm] wodensday: Goodnight!
 +
[9:53pm] Yari: goodnight jokeefe, thank you!
 +
[9:53pm] jokeefe: good night
 +
[9:53pm] wodensday: Just let me know what I'm responsible for. Meetings primarily?
 +
[9:53pm] pmchi: Goodnight jokeefe!
 +
[9:55pm] Yari: Primarily running the meetings (I'll still be there, of course, so I'm happy to help), at which I usually try to keep the discussion flowing in a productive direction. You know, monitor things - keep an eye on the time.
  
 
   </nowiki>
 
   </nowiki>

Latest revision as of 20:55, 13 June 2021

Agenda

Reports

Outreach

Platform

IT

Regular IT meeting - Thu. 6/10, 9pm EDT

Next tasks:

  1. Report from Bosun on crew.uspirates.org
  2. archive SAB list messages
  3. update old pages in the blog/wiki such as the state contact pages

Conference/Elections Planning

Other

Discussion

  • Review of conference and its engagement statistics
  • Discussion of holding more meetings on YouTube or hosting more recordings/livestreams
  • How to expand outreach to our supporters

Attending

Non-Voting

Summary

We did not have quorum, so general discussion ensued.

Minutes

Record of the meeting

 


[9:00pm] Yari: It is 9:00pm, do we have a quorum?
[9:01pm] Yari: I do not see Bosun present, who I believe we need
[9:01pm] jokeefe: yes
[9:01pm] wodensday: How many do we need?
[9:01pm] Yari: okay I will call, just a moment
[9:02pm] Yari: we need voting members
[9:02pm] Joe joined the chat room.
[9:02pm] Joe: Ahoy
[9:04pm] jokeefe: ahoy
[9:04pm] Yari: ahoy joe
[9:06pm] Yari: okay so I just got an update from Bosun, a scheduling mistake was made and apparently none of the WI reps will be joining us this evening.
[9:06pm] Yari: which means we do not have quorum.
[9:06pm] Yari:
[9:06pm] pmchi: Ahoy!
[9:06pm] Yari: ahoy pmchi
[9:06pm] pmchi: How are you guys doing?
[9:07pm] jokeefe: ok, you?
[9:07pm] wodensday: Does Pmchi change anything? Or no?
[9:07pm] wodensday: Their presence, that is
[9:07pm] Yari: ILPP isn't a recognized member yet
[9:07pm] wodensday: Ah
[9:07pm] Yari: we're almost there
[9:07pm] Joe: How can we change that?
[9:07pm] Yari: yeah so this is an informal discussion now, FYI
[9:07pm] Joe: Because I recognize pmchi's efforts
[9:08pm] Yari: agreed Joe
[9:08pm] Joe: (y)
[9:08pm] pmchi: Thank you guys!
[9:08pm] wodensday: Is the distinction that of legal status as a party?
[9:08pm] wodensday: Or something else
[9:09pm] Yari: ILPP can receive member status per the bylaws when they apply for it after having two consistent people who are able to attend meetings, and so long as they have a distinct and easy to contact internet presence
[9:09pm] Yari: I believe that is the extent of the reqs
[9:09pm] Yari: hang on, getting link
[9:10pm] Yari: https://wiki.uspirates.org/w/index.php?title=Pirate_National_Committee_(PNC)/Bylaws#Section_2:_Eligibility
[9:10pm] Yari: wrong link, sorry
[9:10pm] Yari: https://wiki.uspirates.org/w/index.php?title=Pirate_National_Committee_(PNC)/Bylaws#Section_2:_State_Eligibility
[9:10pm] Yari: That one
[9:11pm] jokeefe: Meeting page at https://wiki.uspirates.org/w/index.php?title=PNC_06/13/21
[9:11pm] papegaai: Title: PNC 06/13/21 - United States Pirate Party (at wiki.uspirates.org)
[9:12pm] wodensday: I like the sound of these topics. Even as an informal meeting.
[9:14pm] Yari: pmchi does ILPP have a webpage yet?
[9:14pm] Yari: I haven't seen one
[9:14pm] Yari: I know you have a bunch of socials
[9:16pm] pmchi: No, presently just Twitter. I do have an ILPP Discord set up on the back burner for later but no website
[9:17pm] Yari: okay. jokeefe and Bosun and I can help with website setup, I'm setting up a CAPP website in the next couple weeks.
[9:18pm] Joe: You can get a blog setup that is linked to twitter, if I am correct.
[9:18pm] Yari: oh huh, that's a thought.
[9:18pm] Yari: yeah at least for a start, that could work
[9:19pm] Yari: If it's free, then that's a great resource for state parties actually wow
[9:19pm] Yari: since a lot of us use twitter for networking
[9:20pm] wodensday: I'd love to see more pirate blogging done in general. Sounds like a good opportunity.
[9:20pm] Yari: Ah Joe I misunderstood
[9:21pm] Yari: I thought you meant that twitter offered free blog hosting and I was very confused as to why I had never seen this
[9:21pm] Yari: you mean linking blog to output to twitter
[9:21pm] Joe: https://www.wix.com/
[9:21pm] wodensday: You can still very easily link blog output to twitter, though.
[9:22pm] Joe: Yeah, there are generally patchs in the website builders that do just that
[9:22pm] Joe: Just depends on the template that you like really
[9:22pm] jokeefe: we could create blogs for states that don’t want to host their own
[9:23pm] Yari: of note - there is a free pirate wordpress theme that is used by many national pirate parties
[9:23pm] Yari: I recommend it
[9:23pm] Joe: wordpress is another really good builder
[9:24pm] wodensday: I like wordpress.
[9:24pm] Joe: I have used it a few times, a little clunky but you get used to it after some practice.
[9:24pm] wodensday: I've used it for just about any website I've ever felt the need to make
[9:25pm] Joe: Godaddy a unique website + wordpress = place to organize
[9:25pm] Yari: anyway, pmchi, if you need help with site building, you have lots of ppl to contact.
[9:26pm] Joe: Unfortunately, I am buried to my eye in work, so if we are not discussing anything formal, may I be excused?
[9:26pm] jokeefe: Godaddy has poor security
[9:26pm] Yari: once you have a site of some sort and another member, then we can add ILPP
[9:26pm] Yari: Joe of course
[9:26pm] pmchi: Thank you guys! I will work this week to set up a website. But would Bosun not count as the second ILPP member?
[9:26pm] Joe: Have a wonderful evening!
[9:27pm] jokeefe: Technically he is in WIPP
[9:27pm] Yari: pmchi - Bosun is right now the rep for WI
[9:27pm] jokeefe: you too Joe
[9:27pm] Joe left the chat room. (Quit: Connection closed)
[9:27pm] Yari: if he becomes ILPP, then we have no WIPP and we're back where we started
[9:28pm] Yari: so we need him to get the rest of the people in WI back on board and repping before we can come join you
[9:28pm] wodensday: Is the WIPP that small? I got the impression it was one of our best states
[9:29pm] Yari: wodensday - it has a number of people who are interested/knowledgeable, but very few active volunteers
[9:29pm] wodensday: Ah, makes sense
[9:29pm] Yari: we have lots of pull there, we just need to USE it
[9:32pm] Yari: hey jokeefe, just checking - your email meant that I receive emails from info@ now?
[9:33pm] jokeefe: yes
[9:33pm] Yari: wonderful
[9:33pm] jokeefe: and press@ and hello@
[9:33pm] Yari: cool
[9:33pm] Yari: I just had a thought that I'd also like to pitch to... maybe not the next meeting, but perhaps the one after that.
[9:34pm] wodensday: Oh?
[9:34pm] jokeefe: sure
[9:35pm] Yari: What if the USPP did the setup and paid for the hosting costs of any state party website that asked for it for the first 6mo-1yr? That way state parties have a small amount of time in which they are incentivized to get cash flow from members
[9:35pm] Yari: donations and such, that is
[9:36pm] Yari: It would also be a big step in decreasing the barriers for setting up state parties for those who aren't IT folks
[9:36pm] wodensday: It might also help state parties look and feel like credible activists
[9:36pm] Yari: exactly
[9:37pm] wodensday: While they figure themselves out
[9:37pm] Yari: and there would be some more... cohesiveness? Or there could be - if they wanted it.
[9:38pm] jokeefe: We could do it, though, it would be good to have more volunteers to maintain the sites
[9:38pm] Yari: I absolutely agree, it would take some increase in our numbers
[9:38pm] Yari: I think we could handle... one, right now.
[9:39pm] Yari: The ideal situation here is that it incentivizes an increase in numbers as well
[9:39pm] wodensday: Cohesiveness could be appealing. If state parties had an opportunity to be somewhat horizontally integrated with the national committee, it would take off the sometimes scary edge of starting your own brand new project
[9:39pm] wodensday: Vertical*
[9:40pm] wodensday: Any way we can show support to local movements is a positive
[9:41pm] Yari: I do think we need to make a decision soon about the fundamental nature of our PNC bylaws though
[9:41pm] Yari: as to whether we should be member based or state based
[9:42pm] Yari: and I feel like if we grow too much as a state-based org, we might be missing out on a lot of the early benefits of switching to a member-based model
[9:43pm] jokeefe: What do you think of the participation rate in the Discord?
[9:44pm] Yari: I think it could be higher, but I have some ideas about how to do that (most of which I just haven't had the time to implement)
[9:44pm] Yari: honestly it's not too bad
[9:45pm] Yari: It's about what we'd expect - 10-20%
[9:45pm] wodensday: I do wonder if there needs to be some separate location to just casually chat about pirate ideals, as opposed to the more all-business nature of the discord.
[9:45pm] wodensday: A place for networking
[9:46pm] Yari: I mean, there's pirate beer for the PPI. We could maybe consider doing something similar?
[9:46pm] jokeefe: would could
[9:46pm] Yari: I don't know how those usually go, never been to one
[9:47pm] Yari: I should probably do that
[9:47pm] pmchi: Might I also suggest channels specifically for those with specific regional tags? I saw Liz wanted Discord to be used more for local organization and that might be a good way to keep from channels getting clogged
[9:47pm] Yari: pmchi - working on it
[9:47pm] Yari: there are state specific tags, just...
[9:47pm] jokeefe: It is pirates around the world coming in and out of the chat and talking.
[9:47pm] Yari: that's one of the things I haven't had time for yet
[9:48pm] Yari: First on my list was the committee tags
[9:49pm] wodensday: Something akin to pirate beer could have a great relationship with an increased PNC social media presence.
[9:51pm] Yari: okay cool, let's talk about it at the next outreach then!
[9:51pm] wodensday: Sounds good!
[9:51pm] Yari: also wodensday do you want to be chair of outreach?
[9:52pm] wodensday: I would be honored. I'd really love to
[9:52pm] jokeefe: I have to say good night. Updated https://wiki.uspirates.org/w/index.php?title=PNC_06/13/21 with a transcript of the discussion
[9:52pm] papegaai: Title: PNC 06/13/21 - United States Pirate Party (at wiki.uspirates.org)
[9:53pm] wodensday: Was wondering what you were going to do about that, haha. With your new promotion (congrats by the way!)
[9:53pm] Yari: okay, cool - let me know if any of it gets to be too much. I'm here to help
[9:53pm] wodensday: Goodnight!
[9:53pm] Yari: goodnight jokeefe, thank you!
[9:53pm] jokeefe: good night
[9:53pm] wodensday: Just let me know what I'm responsible for. Meetings primarily?
[9:53pm] pmchi: Goodnight jokeefe!
[9:55pm] Yari: Primarily running the meetings (I'll still be there, of course, so I'm happy to help), at which I usually try to keep the discussion flowing in a productive direction. You know, monitor things - keep an eye on the time.