Outreach 09/7/2021

From United States Pirate Party
Revision as of 21:12, 7 September 2021 by Wodensday (talk | contribs) (Created page with "= Attendees = *Anthony Jay, IN *Rose Klein, CA, pnc chair *Mitchel Davilo, Chicagoland/ILPP, Swarmcare Manager *Joseph Klein, USPP vice *William Dappen, CA = Agenda = ===Old...")
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to navigation Jump to search


  • Anthony Jay, IN
  • Rose Klein, CA, pnc chair
  • Mitchel Davilo, Chicagoland/ILPP, Swarmcare Manager
  • Joseph Klein, USPP vice
  • William Dappen, CA


Old Business

  • USPP Statement on Afghanistan

New Business

  • Blogging efforts



[8:02:29 PM] <wodensday> I believe we should be ready to start, if I'm not missing anything.
[8:02:49 PM] <wodensday> Calling this meeting to order at 8:02 PM eastern time.
[8:02:51 PM] <wodensday> IDs?
[8:02:59 PM] <wodensday> Anthony Jay, IN
[8:03:24 PM] <yari> Rose Klein, CA, pnc chair
[8:03:49 PM] <pmchi> Mitchel Davilo, Chicagoland/ILPP, Swarmcare Manager
[8:04:25 PM] <wodensday> Agenda: https://wiki.uspirates.org/w/index.php?title=Outreach_09/1/2021
[8:04:28 PM] <papegaai> Title: Outreach 09/1/2021 - United States Pirate Party (at wiki.uspirates.org)
[8:05:13 PM] <wodensday> It is our first matter of business to prepare our statement on Afghanistan to be published, the goal is tomorrow.
[8:05:24 PM] <Bosun> Joseph Klein,  USPP vice
[8:05:49 PM] <wodensday>  https://etherpad.pp-international.net/p/USPPAfghanistanStatement
[8:05:51 PM] <papegaai> Title: Etherpad (at etherpad.pp-international.net)
[8:06:49 PM] <wodensday> Are there any major changes that need to be made, or can we check this for basic editing (grammar, phrasing, etc) and decide how to publish?
[8:07:51 PM] <pmchi> I don’t believe it needs much more besides a quick double check on grammar and spelling. As long as it’s published tomorrow
[8:07:59 PM] <yari> agreed
[8:08:07 PM] <Bosun> I cheated and tweeted and fixed some minor punctuation.
[8:08:47 PM] <pmchi> Taste of the article for anyone subscribed to the WIPP
[8:09:06 PM] <wodensday> No issue with that here. Would there be any issue with keeping it open for everyone to edit until a set time tomorrow?
[8:09:13 PM] <wodensday> Which, after then what is there is published
[8:10:01 PM] <yari> That makes sense and sounds good
[8:10:31 PM] <Bosun> Go for it, we should be more agile.
[8:13:53 PM] <wodensday> On distribution - is everyone already with a simple USPP blog post that other pirate channels can link back to?
[8:14:00 PM] <wodensday> *alright
[8:14:26 PM] <yari> Yeah that makes sense
[8:14:41 PM] <pmchi> Yes indeedy
[8:14:43 PM] <Bosun> https://twitter.com/PirateWi/status/1434703066033438721?s=20
[8:15:25 PM] <pmchi> Should we set a hardline time for publishing?
[8:15:49 PM] <Bosun> Copy and past it and you will see a few on the fly edits for punctuation. and some spelling.
[8:16:10 PM] <wodensday> Okay, excellent.
[8:16:20 PM] <Bosun> Close of business tomorrow?
[8:16:24 PM] <wodensday> How does having it out by 6 eastern tomorrow sound?
[8:16:26 PM] <wodensday> PM
[8:16:34 PM] <yari> Timetable - yeah what Bosun said at the minimum
[8:16:35 PM] <wodensday> Sooner if possible
[8:16:42 PM] <yari> Wodensday that makes sense
[8:16:56 PM] <pmchi> I was thinking a lot earlier
[8:17:08 PM] <pmchi> Like 3pm est?
[8:17:30 PM] <pmchi> Or is that too early you think?
[8:17:32 PM] <wodensday> I can submit the post to the blog as soon as I have the chance tonight, we can get it cleared and passed through with whatever wordpress admin magic is required
[8:18:14 PM] <Bosun> I am admin -- just ping me.
[8:18:49 PM] <wodensday> Sounds good.
[8:19:02 PM] <wodensday> Do we need a resolution on all of this for democracy's sake?
[8:19:40 PM] <Bosun> No. Chair haas typically had latitude on public postings.
[8:20:03 PM] <Bosun> Falls under - don't screw up.
[8:20:11 PM] <wodensday> Wonderful. I feel the power coursing through my veins.
[8:20:19 PM] <yari> terrifying
[8:20:49 PM] <wodensday> Does anyone have any furhter questions on this topic?
[8:21:43 PM] <pmchi> What’re we gonna do when this well written article gets 100s of new volunteers rushing to join us?
[8:21:55 PM] <Bosun> I need to go. I promised my spouse some cuddles.
[8:22:20 PM] <Bosun> Sign them all up.
[8:22:35 PM] <Bosun> bye
[8:22:44 PM] <wodensday> Spouse cuddling is one of few valid excuses to leave an outreach meeting. We can let it slide
[8:23:03 PM] ← Bosun has left (Quit: Textual IRC Client: www.textualapp.com)
[8:23:17 PM] <wodensday> That being said, next topic.
[8:23:38 PM] <yari> Pmchi - extra volunteers is something that discord and crew.uspirates is capable of handling
[8:23:56 PM] <yari> Or was that sarcasm
[8:24:07 PM] <pmchi> It was a tongue-in-cheek comment hahaha
[8:24:15 PM] → Radiojoe has joined
[8:24:19 PM] <yari> incredible
[8:24:23 PM] <yari> Hi RadioJoe
[8:24:31 PM] <wodensday> We now have a system of approving website blog content. Next is this: what to we write and when? We've talked briefly of schedules and "columns". How do we feel about all this?
[8:24:49 PM] <wodensday> what do*
[8:25:01 PM] <Radiojoe> hi
[8:25:19 PM] <wodensday> Radiojoe, don't forget to ID
[8:25:32 PM] <Radiojoe> thank you
[8:25:40 PM] <Radiojoe> William Dappen, CA
[8:27:57 PM] <wodensday> I think our bare minimum goal should have to have one blog post every other week. Anything more than that is doing good.
[8:28:38 PM] <Radiojoe> That makes sense, trying to do a ton in short succession might bleed us of any actually relevent news
[8:28:41 PM] <yari> I think our best proposal was each person writing a column once a week
[8:28:45 PM] <yari> roughly
[8:29:13 PM] <pmchi> Maybe as they come in ideas, we could write articles on etherpad like the Afghanistan article. Aim for two a month (or one every other week), but we could always keep the ideas rolling, posting the best written one(s) either on a set day or, if we got multiple good ones, throughout the week
[8:29:38 PM] <wodensday> I'm glad you brought this up.
[8:30:01 PM] <pmchi> Post the Etherpad links after the meeting for the topics we agreed to
[8:30:05 PM] <wodensday> As Pmchi has said, he'd like to see more collaborative projects too, since the Aghanistan address was written so quickly and coherently 
[8:30:15 PM] <yari> But also - to pmchi's point, it might be best for us to just say "hey we should write an article about "X" news thing that just came up, let's make an etherpad"
[8:30:41 PM] <wodensday> Should we try to shoot for one new collaborative etherpad a week?
[8:30:48 PM] <wodensday> Everything else is an added bonus.
[8:30:51 PM] <yari> That seems reasonable
[8:31:04 PM] <yari> I'll be actually forming the writing rooms on discord within the next day or two
[8:31:15 PM] <yari> Sorry that's been taking so long, its a bit lower down on my to-do list
[8:31:15 PM] <pmchi> Wonderful!
[8:31:23 PM] <wodensday> You are fantastic. That was going to be a question
[8:31:46 PM] <pmchi> States as well?
[8:32:06 PM] <yari> States first, then writing room
[8:32:09 PM] <yari> Sort of all at once
[8:32:19 PM] <yari> Ideally tonight
[8:32:57 PM] <wodensday> So, we have a solid flow of near-weekly content through out collaborative process. Is there anything else we need to know about the individual author process? Or should we just start encouraging ourselves to pick up a "column" if and when we can
[8:33:44 PM] <yari> If we do things via ether pad, and then just post with admin approval, then it clears up all editor and writer drama
[8:33:53 PM] <yari> Honestly I think shared authorship works really well
[8:34:09 PM] <pmchi> Teamwork makes the dream work!
[8:34:47 PM] <wodensday> Should we bank on this then?
[8:34:50 PM] <pmchi> And it’s always “written by the US Pirate Party”, without controversy of not speaking for everyone. Everyone had a say!
[8:35:40 PM] <pmchi> Etherpad topics posted to the writer room? Topics discussed at outreach?
[8:36:04 PM] <wodensday> Say someone does want to publish their own individual opinion and have it vetted by the pirates. IS this something we need framework for, or is the goal for this to happen rarely? Trying to get a feel for our current sentiments 
[8:36:52 PM] <Radiojoe> off topic, but we could devote some time in the pirate talk for now to some brainstorming for new ether pads, responding below
[8:37:38 PM] <wodensday> Radiojoe, sure! Just don't let us forget
[8:37:47 PM] <Radiojoe> well the framework proposed is kind of made for people wanting their works vetted by the pirates as far as I understand, so I think it could be larger, we just need traction
[8:38:06 PM] <Radiojoe> alright
[8:40:12 PM] <pmchi> I suppose everyone everyone has the ability create a new etherpad topic. Maybe anyone can post in the room, their etherpad topic. Outreach we could discuss the best and decide what gets posted that week
[8:40:52 PM] <pmchi> **anyone with the role
[8:41:27 PM] <wodensday> Interesting. Though, I do want us to post more than once per week if we're making more than one good article per week. So outreach as a formal body's role here probably won't be "Okay, first thing, which article do we post this week?"
[8:41:49 PM] <wodensday> Unless we can find a way to give our approval to a number of them every week, but that might eat in to our time to do other things
[8:43:49 PM] <yari> Yeah, I don't think we should just do one article, if we get more than one proposed
[8:44:22 PM] <wodensday> Is there any way we can finish and post these articles without a formal voting by the committee?
[8:44:24 PM] <yari> We can have multiple discord roles - would that help with selection in terms of figuring out which articles to post at all?
[8:44:59 PM] <wodensday> Hmm
[8:45:38 PM] <wodensday> If this is our primary method, perhaps those with "Editor" should actually be those with the power to decide when an article is ready to be seen
[8:45:39 PM] <pmchi> 2/3rd editor approval?
[8:46:46 PM] <wodensday> Writing via democracy, but publishing via bureaucracy 
[8:47:37 PM] <yari> We could also set up a democratic vote thing somehow
[8:47:53 PM] <Radiojoe> in our current status, I would wager that most od the editors would also be contributers
[8:47:59 PM] <yari> but that would mean voting on ppl's work, which...
[8:48:03 PM] <Radiojoe> of*
[8:48:12 PM] <yari> RadioJoe good point
[8:48:17 PM] <wodensday> That's true, Yari. We can always put up some kind of poll when it feels as if something is nearing completion 
[8:49:11 PM] <wodensday> Do we give a certain class of editor the power to decide what is and isn't ready, or do we leave it with the writers? This primarily will only make a difference a few writers later.
[8:49:12 PM] <yari> If we're doing this by swarm (everyone is creating a thing and editing it, shared responsibility), then it would make sense for us to have a shared responsibility to determine when to publish
[8:49:28 PM] <yari> what if there is no role difference is what I'm saying
[8:49:42 PM] <yari> Everyone is a writer and editor at the same time, all have the same voting privilege
[8:49:47 PM] <wodensday> Okay, I think I'm following. 
[8:49:48 PM] <Radiojoe> ^
[8:50:18 PM] <yari> When a certain number of people think the thing is ready, it triggers a poll
[8:50:28 PM] <yari> That poll determines whether to publish
[8:50:32 PM] <wodensday> Do we need a formal process for this at the moment? Or can we let it be a discord @ asking for opinions until this operation becomes a bit more robust?
[8:51:07 PM] <yari> Wodensday we don't need one, but... I just proposed one. 
[8:51:17 PM] <wodensday> Excellent!
[8:51:24 PM] <wodensday> Would you care to make this a motion?
[8:53:46 PM] <yari> I move that there be only one discord role for the purposes of voting, that this role contain all the writers and editors, and that a poll system be set up so that when enough people think an article is ready, there is a vote on whether to publish it.
[8:54:14 PM] <yari> (That's a pretty messy motion, but...)
[8:54:29 PM] <wodensday> Should we define "enough"?
[8:54:39 PM] <yari> hmmm
[8:54:43 PM] <wodensday> In its current state I do not know if we can execute it
[8:54:49 PM] <yari> Yeah wodensday we should
[8:54:55 PM] <Radiojoe> 50%?
[8:55:17 PM] <yari> No, probably more like 10%
[8:55:23 PM] <yari> You want it to be a low number
[8:55:27 PM] <wodensday> That's already the vote, then, It should be something similar to the impact of a motion-second before a vote in a committee
[8:55:37 PM] <yari> So that things get put out of the gate sooner
[8:56:08 PM] <yari> Maybe even 5% round up
[8:57:12 PM] <wodensday> If we start with 5-6 writers, 10% would ensure that things more fast while they still can (since that would only be one person giving the go ahead)
[8:57:13 PM] <Radiojoe> I mean, if we put it that low, maybe we should have a time limit before the next vote, like an hour or something
[8:57:42 PM] <yari> I move that there be only one discord role for the purposes of voting, that this role contain all the writers and editors, and that a poll system be set up so that when enough people think an article is ready, there is a vote on whether to publish it.
[8:57:42 PM] <yari> RadioJoe I like the time limit idea
[8:57:42 PM] <yari> I move that there be only one discord role for the purposes of voting, that this role contain all the writers and editors, and that a poll system be set up so that when enough people think an article is ready, there is a vote on whether to publish it.
[8:57:54 PM] <yari> Ah, sorry - did not mean to type that
[8:58:01 PM] <yari> Problem with copy paste
[8:58:11 PM] <wodensday> No worries
[8:58:14 PM] <yari> I withdraw all my motions
[8:58:22 PM] <wodensday> All three of the single motion
[8:58:28 PM] <yari> indeed
[8:59:01 PM] <wodensday> To call attention to time, we can always think on this for a week.
[8:59:09 PM] <yari> RadioJoe I like the timer idea, and wodensday that's why I say 5% rounded up
[8:59:43 PM] <Radiojoe> I think if we crank this one out for a min we will be fine, it seems we have a pretty clear idea already
[9:00:13 PM] <wodensday> Would a new motion with 5% added in fulfill our needs for the time?
[9:01:04 PM] <yari> I move that there be only one discord role for the purposes of voting, that this role contain all the writers and editors, and that a poll system be set up so that when 5% of those in the role, rounded up, think an article is ready, there is a vote on whether to publish it.
[9:01:18 PM] <yari> edited
[9:01:43 PM] <wodensday> Do we have a second?
[9:01:55 PM] <pmchi> 2nd
[9:02:02 PM] <wodensday> All in favor?
[9:02:07 PM] <yari> aye
[9:02:10 PM] <pmchi> Aye
[9:02:11 PM] <Radiojoe> aye
[9:02:34 PM] <wodensday> Motion passed.
[9:02:47 PM] <yari> Nice, I'll work on setting that up
[9:03:09 PM] <wodensday> I'm excited for this
[9:03:38 PM] <pmchi> These role rooms are gonna be massive helps, I’m super excited
[9:03:50 PM] <yari> Me too!
[9:03:54 PM] <wodensday> Would anyone like to motion we adjourn? Unless there is something urgent
[9:04:17 PM] <pmchi> Nothing we can’t talk about at Pirate Talk
[9:04:22 PM] <pmchi> Motion to adjourn
[9:04:27 PM] <yari> 2nd
[9:04:35 PM] <wodensday> aLL IN FAVOR?
[9:04:37 PM] <wodensday> Whoops
[9:04:40 PM] <wodensday> Caps lock
[9:04:44 PM] <pmchi> AYE
[9:04:46 PM] <yari> FAVOR
[9:04:48 PM] <Radiojoe> AYE
[9:05:11 PM] <wodensday> MEETING ADJOURNED AT 9:05 EASTERN TIME
[9:05:22 PM] <yari> Lol amazing
[9:05:34 PM] <pmchi> That’s the good stuff