Outreach 05/18/21

From United States Pirate Party
Revision as of 22:20, 18 May 2021 by Yari (talk | contribs)
Jump to navigation Jump to search



Outreach Meeting held 05/18/2021. Called to order at 9:07pm EST, adjourned at 10:06pm EST

Members present: Yari, committee chair pmchi Bosun jokeefe

The committee discussed what items to put on the agenda for the USPP 2021 Annual Conference, at which the elections for officer positions will be held. A copy of the agenda can be seen at https://pad.piratenpartei.at/p/USPPAnnualMeetAgenda

After settling on which topics to host discussions on each day of the conference, the committee split the work of running the discussion sessions between themselves and agreed to find others in the party to help them.

Deliverables: Yari will run the discussion on "History & Issues of the Pirate Party", and will find someone else to help them. pmchi will run the discussion on "What Pirates Stand For and How To Convince Others", and will find someone else to help them. Bosun will run the discussion on "Starting a state party", and will find someone else to help them. jokeefe will run the discussion on "Running for local office", and will find someone else to help them.

The committee postponed addressing who will run the candidate discussions.


[9:03pm] Yari: welcome
[9:03pm] Yari: I'm going to wait a couple more minutes before calling start, just for giggles
[9:03pm] Yari: but in the meantime
[9:04pm] Yari: I'll be working here: https://pad.piratenpartei.at/p/USPPAnnualMeetAgenda
[9:04pm] papegaai: Title: Piratenpad (at pad.piratenpartei.at)
[9:04pm] Yari: on the agenda, unless we have a more up to date document in the works that I'm unaware of
[9:07pm] Yari: okay, we should go ahead and get started
[9:07pm] Yari: IDs?
[9:07pm] jokeefe: hi
[9:07pm] Bosun: Is Jokeefe around?
[9:08pm] Bosun: Joseph Klein USPP chair
[9:08pm] jokeefe: James O’Keefe, Massachusetts
[9:08pm] Yari: Rose Klein, California
[9:08pm] Yari: lovely, thank you
[9:09pm] Yari: I think the most pressing thing for the meeting today is just to spend time working on the agenda for the upcoming annual two-week pirate megapalooza
[9:09pm] Yari: https://pad.piratenpartei.at/p/USPPAnnualMeetAgenda
[9:09pm] papegaai: Title: Piratenpad (at pad.piratenpartei.at)
[9:09pm] Yari: I have some notes written up on piratenpad
[9:09pm] Yari: well, not so much notes as a bunch of blank dates
[9:09pm] jokeefe: going to reschedule the Monday tech meetup to Wednesday or Thursday either this week or next. What do you think?
[9:10pm] Bosun: OK
[9:10pm] Yari: jokeefe do you mean to make it part of the megapalooza or to make it happen beforehand
[9:11pm] Bosun: megapalooza?
[9:11pm] Yari: just a name I'm using
[9:11pm] Yari: not official
[9:11pm] Yari: what should I actually call it?
[9:11pm] Yari: annual meetup?
[9:12pm] Yari: conference?
[9:12pm] Bosun: Let's make Friday a discussion.
[9:13pm] Bosun: What re we and who are we?
[9:13pm] Bosun: are
[9:13pm] Yari: Bosun could you specify which friday? also are you allowed to edit the document? I thought I made it so that everyone could
[9:14pm] Bosun: I thought this was one week - first Friday.
[9:15pm] jokeefe: two weeks
[9:15pm] Bosun: How about Tuesday Thursday the 2nd week.
[9:15pm] Yari: amendment passed specified two weeks to ask questions of candidates
[9:15pm] Bosun: or reverse - I azm easy
[9:17pm] Yari: so Bosun are you suggesting that we have candidate discussions scheduled for Tuesday and Thursday of week two?
[9:17pm] Bosun: Candidates are grilled on Tuesday and Thursday 2nd week. yes.
[9:18pm] Yari: That certainly does allow us to cut down on the amt of programming
[9:19pm] Yari: though counterpoint - we don't have to prepare for candidate discussions
[9:19pm] Bosun: So week one is like training. Week two is implementation.
[9:19pm] Yari: so I would propose that we actually have one each week so that we can have less content we have to prepare for in week one
[9:20pm] Yari: We can have them be the capstones of the weeks, even
[9:20pm] Bosun: One what?
[9:20pm] Yari: one candidate discussion per week is what I am suggesting
[9:20pm] pmchi joined the chat room.
[9:20pm] Yari: instead of two at the end
[9:21pm] Yari: hello pmchi please id
[9:21pm] Yari: welcome welcome
[9:21pm] pmchi: Mitchel Davilo, Chicago/ILPP
[9:21pm] pmchi: So so sorry
[9:21pm] Bosun: Ok - Wednesday and tuesdaay?
[9:21pm] Yari: thank you, no worries
[9:21pm] Yari: Bosun, I would say it might be better to have candidate discussions on weekends so that they are better attended
[9:22pm] Yari: unless you think attendance is higher on weekdays
[9:22pm] Yari: I would propose two candidate discussions, one on each Saturday
[9:22pm] Bosun: Saturday and Saturday?? might be good
[9:22pm] Yari: that way they are the capstones of each week
[9:23pm] Yari: Sunday 10th is the election, and sunday 5th can serve as a debrief even
[9:23pm] Yari: or alternatively sunday 5th can be a lead into week two programming
[9:24pm] Yari: That way we don't really have to plan much in the way of weekend programming for the conference, which is also less work for us
[9:24pm] Yari: and more attendance for candidate discussions
[9:24pm] Yari: I hope
[9:25pm] Yari: by the way pmchi I have a piratenpad open https://pad.piratenpartei.at/p/USPPAnnualMeetAgenda
[9:25pm] Bosun: June 8th I think you mean
[9:25pm] papegaai: Title: Piratenpad (at pad.piratenpartei.at)
[9:25pm] Yari: Sorry Bosun what is on the 8th?
[9:25pm] Bosun: er 6th
[9:26pm] Yari: same question
[9:26pm] Yari: OH OH my bad
[9:26pm] Yari: yes
[9:27pm] Yari: I was getting the dates wrong
[9:27pm] Yari: my bad
[9:28pm] Bosun: You said Sunday 10th is election. It would be the 6th of June.
[9:28pm] Yari: I meant that Sunday the 6th is the election and that on the 30th of May we could do a lead into week two
[9:28pm] Yari: my bad
[9:28pm] Yari: thank you for correction
[9:29pm] Yari: Are there any alternative suggestions, or additional thoughts on the placement or number of candidate discussions to be held?
[9:29pm] Yari: pmchi and jokeefe
[9:29pm] Yari left the chat room. (Read error: Connection reset by peer)
[9:29pm] Yari joined the chat room.
[9:30pm] Yari: sorry might have missed something there, my interned blipped
[9:30pm] Yari: did anyone say something?
[9:32pm] Yari: okay hearing nothing, I'm going to move on to other scheduling stuff
[9:33pm] Yari: I know we said Monday wednesday and friday for the days of the week
[9:33pm] Yari: I think we might want to do Tuesday and Thursday one of the weeks though
[9:34pm] Yari: And actually it would probably make more sense to do tuesday thursday on the first week
[9:34pm] Yari: if we do that
[9:34pm] jokeefe: I think Tuesday/Thursday if preferable to MWF
[9:34pm] Yari: reasoning jokeefe?
[9:34pm] jokeefe: though MW or MTh are ok
[9:35pm] Yari: It's definitely preferable for the ppl we already have on IRC
[9:35pm] jokeefe: just not sure how much interest there will be on a Friday night.
[9:35pm] Yari: fair point
[9:35pm] Yari: What if we just did MW one week and TTh another?
[9:36pm] Yari: My reasoning is that we want to get a range of schedules
[9:36pm] jokeefe: sure, that would shake things up
[9:36pm] Yari: In my experience, most commitments schedule on a consistent MW or TTh basis
[9:36pm] Bosun: OK - I threw in some topic ideas.
[9:37pm] Yari: I saw, Bosun - thank you
[9:37pm] Yari: Any objections to a staggered weekday schedule with two days covered per week?
[9:37pm] Bosun: Just drop Friday into Thursday
[9:37pm] Bosun: Not here. I think that is good.
[9:38pm] jokeefe: I think we need time to just talk and share ideas
[9:38pm] Yari: agreed jokeefe
[9:39pm] Yari: would the two of you be willing to run a session on starting state parties?
[9:39pm] jokeefe: yes
[9:39pm] Yari: bosun and jokeefe
[9:40pm] Bosun: yes
[9:40pm] Yari: I feel like something of that sort could be very useful
[9:41pm] Yari: cool, that's one day covered
[9:41pm] Bosun: So is thursday "Starting a state party"
[9:41pm] Yari: Depends on your schedules - what day do you want it to be?
[9:42pm] Yari: sign up I guess
[9:42pm] jokeefe: I can do the running for local office with/out Bosun.
[9:42pm] Yari: Ideally I would like to have this be something where we have at least two people running each session
[9:42pm] Yari: and, ideally, it's not just the same ppl over and over
[9:43pm] Yari: So if we're doing history of the pirate party - is there someone else we can get to discuss that?
[9:44pm] Yari: Who else might be good for the running for local office one?
[9:45pm] Yari: honestly Bosun you have a fair bit of exp with that too, which makes me want to put that topic in a different week
[9:45pm] Yari: I don't think we should have two topics back to back with the same speakers
[9:45pm] Bosun: We gotta start somewhere.
[9:45pm] Bosun: Move it arround.
[9:45pm] jokeefe: Federal election law seems rather dry
[9:46pm] mikey joined the chat room.
[9:46pm] Bosun: More general - election laws.
[9:46pm] jokeefe: Would rather have a discussion about what we should focus on or our platform
[9:47pm] Bosun: What you should know.
[9:47pm] jokeefe: we already have running for office and starting a state party.
[9:47pm] Yari: Is election laws covered in running for local office though?
[9:47pm] Bosun: OK I will add in election laws in. running.
[9:48pm] Bosun: 1st What Pirates Stand for?
[9:48pm] Bosun: June first.
[9:48pm] Bosun: platform w/o platform
[9:49pm] Yari: I like that
[9:49pm] Yari: what pirates stand for
[9:49pm] Yari: ooooo
[9:49pm] Yari: How to talk about pirate issues
[9:50pm] Yari: how about that?
[9:50pm] Bosun: OK
[9:50pm] Yari: like, you want to introduce your friend to pirate stuff
[9:50pm] Yari: how do you do it?
[9:50pm] Yari: What do we even stand for?
[9:50pm] Bosun: with rum
[9:50pm] Yari: How do you sell them on it
[9:50pm] Yari: Y'know bosun, not a bad idea
[9:50pm] jokeefe: Bosun: What Pirates Stand For sounds good
[9:51pm] Bosun: If we can agree.
[9:51pm] Yari: jokeefe do you think I should change it back?
[9:51pm] Bosun: please,
[9:52pm] jokeefe: What Pirates Stand For And How To Convince Others?
[9:52pm] Yari: sure
[9:52pm] Yari: we can change it later if we want anyway
[9:53pm] Bosun: what about guns? what about abortion?
[9:53pm] pmchi: Yes
[9:53pm] Bosun: snicker
[9:53pm] Yari: Okay this is a pretty nice agenda for the two weeks so far
[9:53pm] Yari: It seems pretty well filled out
[9:54pm] jokeefe: “Were Pirates. We like guns.” (tm) 
[9:54pm] Yari: I think the main issue we have right now is making sure that we have people to run things
[9:54pm] Bosun: cannons
[9:54pm] jokeefe: certainly important
[9:55pm] Bosun: ok we devolve.
[9:55pm] Yari: So - we should end soon, can I give you all homework though
[9:56pm] jokeefe: sure
[9:56pm] Yari: I would love if we could divide and each find someone to help us run a specific session
[9:56pm] Bosun: assignments ... ok
[9:57pm] Yari: So, for example, I am more than happy to run the session on What Pirates Stand for
[9:57pm] Yari: But now I need to go and find someone to help
[9:57pm] Yari: (unless someone else really wanted to run that)
[9:57pm] Bosun: review stuff on the web.
[9:58pm] Yari: Bosun of course
[9:58pm] pmchi: Yari I’d be happy to help
[9:59pm] Yari: Okay well then pmchi actually I'm going to just ask you to run the session
[9:59pm] jokeefe: Do we want to livestream?
[9:59pm] Bosun: Let this sit for a night or two. Should we meet again on Thursday?
[9:59pm] pmchi: I can do that too
[9:59pm] Yari: jokeefe I was assuming that was the intention
[9:59pm] jokeefe: sure
[9:59pm] Yari: we had said that at PNC?
[9:59pm] Yari: I thought
[10:00pm] Yari: pmchi if you are willing to run that one, please find someone to help you
[10:00pm] Bosun: I need to redecorate and get a better book shelf.
[10:00pm] Yari: I can take on the history of the pirate party then
[10:00pm] Yari: and I will find someone to help me
[10:01pm] Yari: Bosun you have starting a state party on there, please find someone to help you
[10:01pm] Yari: And jokeefe same for running for local office
[10:01pm] jokeefe: sure.
[10:01pm] Yari: pmchi does that work for you or did you want something else
[10:01pm] Bosun: OK
[10:01pm] pmchi: No I’m good with that
[10:01pm] Yari: any objections to that homework please speak now
[10:02pm] Yari: The only other thing we need is to find people to run the candidate discussions - that is something I don't feel like addressing right now
[10:02pm] Yari: so
[10:02pm] jokeefe: Would you send a summary of everyone’s homework, Yari?
[10:02pm] Yari: jokeefe I can do that yes
[10:02pm] Yari: I will send on discord, if that's okay
[10:02pm] Bosun: post notes please.
[10:03pm] jokeefe: thank you, Yari
[10:03pm] Yari: will do bosun
[10:03pm] Yari: okay so when is the next planning meeting happening?
[10:03pm] Yari: for this stuff?
[10:03pm] jokeefe: in the notes summary would be fine and a link to the meeting page
[10:03pm] Bosun: Thursday?
[10:03pm] Yari: oh right - jokeefe you are moving the IT meeting?
[10:04pm] Yari: jokeefe will do
[10:04pm] jokeefe: I think so
[10:04pm] jokeefe: not sure when to
[10:04pm] jokeefe: Give me a minute and I will create the page and post the transcript
[10:05pm] Yari: jokeefe I can post notes
[10:05pm] Yari: okay we are ending then, it sounds like
[10:05pm] Bosun: Night all
[10:05pm] Yari: either way, any objections to this meeting being adjourned?
[10:06pm] Bosun: none here
[10:06pm] pmchi: Neigh
[10:06pm] Yari: hearing none - this meeting is adjourned at 10:06PM EST
[10:06pm] Bosun left the chat room. (Quit: Textual IRC Client: www.textualapp.com)